Author Topic: Some really fun engraving  (Read 9000 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Some really fun engraving
« on: April 02, 2010, 05:16:46 AM »
Hi Friends,
I built a 1630's English fowler a few years ago and recently dressed the lock up with some engraving.  It is a type 1 English lock that I built from parts sold by the Rifle Shoppe.  All springs and screws were hand made.  I had a very specific objective for the engraving.  I've looked at many photos of locks engraved by English makers during that period and wanted to simulate the look, design, and feel of the better British work, which was much more provincial looking than the continental work, particularly French work.  It was a bit of a challenge because I did not want the engraving to look like modern banknote work. I wanted a somewhat primitive design but not something crude. I wanted to use period motifs and I had to fill some very difficult spaces.  It was fun and I think the results came out pretty well, although I made numerous mistakes.  I think it looks like the "real" thing.  Enjoy the photos,

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline horseman

Re: Some really fun engraving
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:56:43 AM »
 I think that's darn good!  The jaws are really a firebreathing critter!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:53:48 PM »
Now that is a fun lock.........they had a real sense of humor!!!  Beautiful work Dave.  Thanks for sharing this.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline alex e.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »
I like it! :) ;)For some reason ,Earlier & earlier guns are gaining my attention.
-Alex
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 02:57:09 PM »
Very creative Dave....I like it.

agaboric

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:17:13 PM »
Very nice job, I really like it, keep up the good work!
-Andy

Offline Captchee

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 03:25:01 PM »
nice job  sir . i like your lay out

myself i have always been  more into the heavy relief carving  of the periods .

someday , i have to  try may hand at doing this cock

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:26:24 PM by Captchee »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 03:51:20 PM »
Very nice. I especially like the smaller dragon heads.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »
Cool beans man.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 10:20:36 PM »
Beautiful engraving. Dave. What tools to you use?

Best regards
Rolfkt

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »
Sweet!

I love it,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 01:09:25 AM »
Dave,

That just looks super.  I can see in my mind a progression into the early 18th century with a lightening up on the serpentine and adding a bit more strawberry vines.
Very neat.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 02:03:32 AM »
That realy looks great. How long did it take to make and engrave the beast?  Musta been quite awhile. Gary

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 05:45:53 AM »
Hey Dave,

I'm intrigued by the lock.  How about a picture with the frizzen open and a shot of the inside?

Thanks,

Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 07:25:44 PM »
Thank you all for looking and for the comments,

Rolf,
I did much of the basic outlining with a chisel and hammer so that I could simulate old work more closely. However, once outlined, all of the detail work and cleaning up of the outlining was done with a Lindsay Airgraver.  The chisel was a simple 90 degree square tool.  I used a 110 degree tool in the Airgraver for cleanup and highlighting, and then a very small 90 degree tool for the details and shading.

James,
Strawberry leaves would be appropriate on my lock.  In fact, most English locks for which I had photos, had predominately strawberry leaf engraving.  I just don't like that motif.  It was usually flat and crudely done and the 3-leaf shape is not very elegant. I looked at photos of 3 pistols built in the 1640s and they all had strawberry leaf carving around the barrel tangs.  It was crudely done and very unappealing to me.  I think the English Civil War and the subsequent Protectorate of Cromwell played a big role in stunting the development of quality decoration on British guns during the mid 1600s. When the monarchy was restored and continental gunsmiths migrated to England, the market for decorated guns blossomed and the local talent improved greatly.  I envisioned myself as a local gunsmith in the 1640's, maybe working for a royalist supporter, trying to produce decoration similar to continental work.  The result would be better than run of the mill English work at the time but not up to the standard of the Parisian makers.

Gary,
The scale pattern really did not take that long.  I think I probably finished it in a couple of hours complete with the accent lines. It was tedious but still fun to do in a mind numbing, vegetative state sort of way.

Captchee,
I am trying to hone my skills to get there. High relief will be my next challenge but I am going to start with bone.  You guys will see the results of that later this coming summer.

Jeff,
I will take some pictures of the inside of the lock today and post them.  We finally have a little sunlight after almost a month of pouring rain.

Thanks again everyone,

dave

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 07:49:54 PM »
Thanks Dave,

Lookin forward to that

jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 02:51:10 AM »
I posted some pictures of the inside and outside of the lock so folks can see how the lateral sear mechanism works.  The same design is used on snaphaunce locks though many did not have a half cock notch in the sear.  You can also see that the mechanism is pretty crude but effective.  I added the washer on the tumbler because it provides even pressure on the tumbler pushing it against the lockplate.  It is an improvement over just the peg. I filed and polished the outside of the plate in preparation for engraving to remove as many of the casting inclusions and pits that I could.  It was not one of TRS's better casting jobs and some pits are still left.  When I built the lock I also cleaned up many of the parts because they were really pretty crude.  These English locks were pretty rough but sturdy. 

dave

Lock at full cock, note the sear bar catching the tail of the cock.

Tumbler and sear at rest.

Tumbler and sear at half cock.

Tumbler and sear at full cock.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 04:32:08 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for the additional pics Dave.  I had know idea what the inside was like or that it was so drastically different from later flintlock designs

Jeff.
Thomas Sowell

Offline Captchee

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »
 thanks dave for the photos .  you did a great job . again i like your layout greatly

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »
Here is a reference to your lock...maybe...

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 06:24:58 AM »
Hi Tim,
Thanks for providing that photo.  What book is that?  I thought I had all of the histories of King Philip's War in my library but that reference is new (I think?).  My lock is supposedly a copy of a lock found in the ruins of the Jereh Bull block house in Rhode Island.  It was burned during King Philip's War and the 15 colonist defenders were killed.  One day I am going to build a King Philip's War commemorative gun using an early dog lock and including engravings of scenes representing the conflict.  I am fascinated by that period.  Thanks again Tim,

dave