Author Topic: A tool without a name is a loss and a shame!  (Read 5683 times)

Bruce

A tool without a name is a loss and a shame!
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
      Jim Turpin, in his video on the construction of a long rifle speaks of a "freshing tool" ?!?, to cut a clean line on the stock.  Well, I've checked all the gun books and found naught by that name.  So any of you folks out there know the proper name of that tool?  Like'd to by one.

Hemistat  Moonratch, keeper of useless records

The other DWS

Re: A tool without a name is a loss and a shame!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:47:58 PM »
I have heard of a "(re-)'freshing tool" in several contexts.
One of course is used for a very light re-rifling of a bore to clean up wear and corrosion.
Another is the use of a scraper made of a bent 3-cornered file used to clean up carving and checkering.  I could see how, using it with a clamped-on flexible straight edge, one could use it to make an initial cut for a long barrel and ramrod channel moulding or the line parallel to the bottom flat of the butt, especially if a beading plane were not available.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 07:05:48 PM »
I've not seen the Turpin video, but I suspect he is referring to a tool used to freshen worn checkering.  I've looked at the Brownell online catalog and in Kennedy's book, Checkering & Carving of Gunstocks, and cannot find a tool referred to by that name.

A single line checkering cutter does a good job and will remain in alignment with a little attention.

Larry Luck

Offline BJH

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:26:46 AM »
I believe the name of the comercial tool equivelent is the Monty Kennedy "jointer" checkering tool. It used to be available from Brownells. I don't have a current catalog so I am not sure if they are still available. I would think they still are.
BJH

northmn

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:48:52 AM »
I have seen a tool made to either follow the ramrod channel or a straight barrel that is designed to mark and cut the molding down the forestock.  Don't have one and cannot show a picture.  I believe they work mostly on a straight barrel.  A scribe on one end and a guide on another.

DP

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 04:36:54 AM »
Jim may have made a bad choice of words when he used "freshing tool", especially if he was talking about making a straight moulding cut along the ramrod channel, or forend moulding.   You can make a forend "scraper" which follows the
ramrod groove.   Normally the word "freshing tool" refers to pouring a lead slug in the bore of a rifle around the end of a
ramrod.   A cutter is then inserted into the slug to re-cut the riflling, or the tops of the lands............Don

Birddog6

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:54:42 PM »
I agree, what I have known as a "freshing tool" was a bit used in touching up the rifling in a barrel, as to "refresh" the bore.
As for the tool to cut the molding on the forestock or buttstock, I made them out of a piece of tool steel. Don't have access to it right now but can get you a photo of it in a couple of days when I get back.   The cut in the steel is just opposite of the shape you want to cut.  I have tried to use them them several times, I found it easier just to do it by hand. Most likely because that is how I learned to do it, not because the tool didn't work, I just get used to doing something a certain way & get comfortable with it.

I usually take a compass & drop the pointer edge on the barrel inlet against the barrel & put the lead down where I want it on the forestock & make a line down the forestock.  Sometimes I just hold my fingers on the edge of the RR groove & adjust the pencil to where I want it & pull down the forestock & use my fingers as a guide.  I do it a couple dif way til I get it the way I want it. Then cut straight in with a knife about 1/16" deep, then make a V cut into the original cut, with the V slanted up towards the barrel, then use the flat part of a 6" rasp that has the handle heated & turned up.

Having done them both way, I find if you want a crisp clean cut line down the edge of the forestock, the scraper will not accomplish this if it is very curly wood.  If it is kinda plain, you can work it dif direction & get pretty clean cuts, but real curly it is constantly going against grain & pulling instead of cutting.  Well, obviously thought is "go the other way", but when you have a opposing grain ever 1/8" to 3/16", that gets very flustrating & for me it is just easier to cut it with a knife blade & V it out & go on.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:07:03 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline fm tim

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:21:36 PM »
Brownells calls it the "joiner".   Just a long cutter to straighten wavering lines.

Bentflint

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:04:32 AM »
I ask Jim your question, this is what he said.

"The tool is a checkering tool. It is a straight cut used for borders & "freshening" out already cut lines".

Bruce Everhart

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 04:37:16 PM »
      Thank you all for the input of information.  The tool Jim Turpin used was to create a line/grove on the lower side of the stock (nomenclature lacking) and this was the tool he referred to as a "freshing tool.  It had nothing to do with the ramrod channel.
      In simplicity, I am seeking a tool to make that line/grove in my stock.  So my question is: what type of tool should be purchased for the task?

Heckram Tewsneeze, keeper of the majestick slapsticks.

Birddog6

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 07:29:57 PM »
Is it something like this ?  If you are referring to a accent line down the buttstock or forestock at top or bottom, you can make a tool as such out of a old tool  blade or some 01 steel & then harden it.   You just pull this along the base or top as a guide & it make s a line in the stock. More times pulled =deeper line.  You could make a guide or attach a handle if so desired.  This will work on wood that is not too curly, but if it is really curly it hangs all the time as of opposing grain & easier to make a line & cut it in by hand.