Author Topic: Browning a round barrel  (Read 3688 times)

jsdyer

Browning a round barrel
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »
Hello:
In preparation for browning octagonal barrels I've draw filed and followed up by polishing with wet/dry paper properly backed to ensure the edges stay sharp.  If I want to polish the round section of an octagon to round barrel, what is the proper technique to ensure that the barrel remains round with no flat spots.  I may want to go to 600 grit prior to browning. 
Thank you.
JDyer

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Browning a round barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »
I just use sandpaper in hand, or perhaps backed by something soft which will conform to the barrel contour.  As long as you steer clear of a rigid flat backing, I don't think you can get into too much trouble.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »
Polishing the round section of a barrel is best done lengthwise.  If you shoe-shine it, I think the scratches are going to show.  Perhaps at 600 grit, maybe not, but I believe that you're going to measures that are unnecessary.  I polished the Baker rifle whose pics are below to 180 grit, lengthwise using a piece of pine concaved to the contour of the barrel.  I roughed out the pine block with a gouge first, then laid 80 grit, grit side UP on the breech end, and rubbed the block back and forth to grind out the curve exactly to the contour of the barrel.  Then I used the same abrasive cloth the other way around to grind machine marks, dings and scratches out of the barrel's surface.  Progressed on to 120, and finished with 180.  This is my standard finish grit.  
I carded the barrel between applications of Neider brown, with a rolled up length of coarse canvas to take away the loose rust, and reapplied the solution.  This barrel got five or six 2 1/2 hour trips to the damp box.  You can see that the scratches left by the 180 grit cloth have been absorbed and eaten up by the browning solution.
If you polish to 600, card very hard with steel wool, and the colour will be more IN the steel, with a glossier shine at finish...such as you'd do a double damascus gun.  The finish on this Baker rifle is very very durable, even, and lovely, and I suspect, authentic.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:22:39 PM »
Taylor makes an excellent point about sanding lengthwise, that I neglected to mention.
I definitely agree.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Pete Allan

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:32:53 PM »
Lengthwise sanding is a must for a quality finish. I have seen some that were done on a lathe while it was turning (the shoe shine method) and they look BAD -- lots of places that reflect light when the barrel is moved during normal handling. Not so with lengthwise sanding.  Good luck

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:57:38 AM »
I think your idea of going all the way to 600 grit is off base, expecially if you are going to brown the barrel.   I think you
will find that you will get a much better browning job if you do like Taylor did....only go up to about 180 grit.  Remember,
when you are "browning" a barrel, you are rusting it, and a slightly roughened barrel will rust much easier and better than one that is highly polished.    In finishing steel, if you want to keep the metal bright, a high polish will be less susceptible to rusting than one not polished.   One other thing Taylor....I like your engraving............Don