Author Topic: Soddy influenced E. TN  (Read 18181 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Soddy influenced E. TN
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 02:36:47 PM »
Nifty! ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 03:28:06 PM »
Ken, I love those Tennessee guns and yours is a beauty!! I especially like that you made all the parts, great job all the way around!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 03:39:21 PM »
Ken....real neat rifle.    I was going to ask you if you made all of the hardware but I think you answered it in a posting
just above this one.  I have never tried to forge anything, and it's probably too late to start.   My next rifle is going to be
a "gussied up" barn gun which I have volunteered to make for our Lodge.    They had a problem in coming up with something to raise money for the Grand Lodge of Pa., so, out of the goodness of my heart, I volunteered.   Hope to have
it done by next month.   You guys keep talking about that Norris, Tenn show,..If I'm still ambulatory at that time next year
I'm going to have to visit the show........you guys are just having too much fun.............Don

Birddog6

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 03:47:47 PM »
Ken,  As always, superb job. What little guidance I have given you, you are more than welcome. I am most proud of your work, as you have proven again to a fine gunmaker &a brother worthy of the time & effort.  
And it is of no doubt, you really found you nitch in these Tenn. rifles.  By the way, I think that stock was supposed to be in   MY   pile    ??? :-\    Really like the color of the stock & your staining & finish around the low wear areas & etc., definitely top notch.    ;)  Excellent job.......

Now, either go patch the ceiling or frame it it !!   :D :D  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:25:13 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 05:07:44 PM »
Ken, you have a great looking rifle. I marvel at the patience it must take to inlet  that tang. The double dove tailled front sight and the brass tail on the lock are really appreciated. Lastly, I never would have guessed that the stock is walnut. The rifle as a hole is very well thought out and executed.   JZ   
JOHN ZUREKI

exTNer

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
I was wondering how this little rifle was coming along.  I see it's amazing!  It looks like it could've come out of my granny's attic over in Sequatchie valley, but MUCH better (if that makes sense). 

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 08:11:39 PM »
Ken, let us in on the finish of this rifle.  I love the color you got on that walnut.  what stain and finish was used?  thanks for sharing.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 09:10:01 PM »
The rifle looks good, Ken.  Glad you didn't keep track of all the hours you have in it.  (I know you can't count that high...)  ;D  Hope you can induce that pesky Birddog6 to come along with you one of these times.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 04:43:51 AM »
Ken,great job ! that is as nice of looking rifle as i have seen in a very long time. I did not realize that Soddy Daisy was  known for rifles. Where can i learn more of the history of rifles/smiths of that area?
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline gibster

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »
Great rifle Ken.  Your work inspires the "would-be" gunsmith in me to do better.  Thanks for sharing the rifle with us.
Gibster

Offline bgf

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 09:27:28 PM »
Ken,
You did a beautiful job.  I haven't found even the antique Soddy-Daisy rifles attractive, but you changed my perspective a little bit, or a lot.  The brass on the lock is the only thing I don't like, both because I think it is too much and because there is no other brass on the rifle (that I can see).  The engraving on the lock, however, is extremely tasteful.  Otherwise, not only is the workmanship good, it is, in combination with the finish on metal and wood, kept to a level that is appropriate to the style of rifle.  I sometimes get tired of seeing Tennessee and Barn (and many other) rifles with exhibition grade stocks and metal finished to standards more suited to the British nobility than the backwoods.  That is the sign of a true craftsman, in my opinion: knowing when to stop.  Your rifle is nice now, but it will look even better after it has been used for a while.  I want to use that lock for a little more traditional Kentucky that I have in mind as my first flintlock (or serious build), so seeing your work has been extremely inspiring to me.

TNrifleman

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 05:23:01 PM »
Ken,

Your "keeper" rifle is beautifully done. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 04:30:02 AM »
Ken that is one sweet rifle. It is a quality  gun from end to end. I got to spend some time up at Jerry Noble's place a couple of weeks ago and that was the first time I got to see a Soddy up close and personel, you have done a great job of capturing the look.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 04:39:24 AM »
Guys, Thank you very much for all the kind words.  
Sorry to be slow replying.  I went gold panning this weekend and the charger thing died.  No email or web access once the battery is gone.  

Scott,
The Walnut is stained with Dangler's Stain.  Orange, yes, orange stain.  Then med brown, then dark brown.  Rubbed back with a alcohol soaked rag in the wear areas.  Chambers black grain filler was then used in the low wear areas.  Then a couple of coats of rubbed on low gloss tung oil.  More Chambers Black grain filler and then I utilized Mr. Kibler's suggestion of Lamp Black oil paint in the darkest areas.  I would rub some tung oil on a section of stock and then rub paint some lamp black in the dark areas.  I didn't come close to Mr. Kiblers look but I learned and maybe I'll get it next go around.  

Smo,
One of the best sources is Jerry Nobles books.   He has 4 books out on Southern guns.  The info on Soddy makers is scattered in all 4 books.  

Cheers,
Ken

Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 04:47:44 AM »
Here's Jerry's contact info.  I think the books are $35 each?  Someone who has recently purchased them could say for sure. 

414 N.E. 7th Ave.
Aledo ILL 61231
309-582-2852
309-582-7687

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
Ken,
I just got home from Nashville and all the way home all I could think about was holding and shooting Sequatchie!  I got her down and then to unwind I fired up the computer to read the forum and saw your fine East Tennessee Rifle.  The buttplate is amazingly perfect! It made my day after a very tough weekend!  Thanks.

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 04:17:51 AM »
Thanks for the info Ken
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »
Ken, I'm still gathering information on these Tennessee guns. I have Mr. Irwin's book, but there is no information on a maker I'm very interested in, J.G. Gross. Do you know of any publications that show his work. Right now I have one picture from Merrill Lindsay's book, "The Kentucky Rifle". Thanks
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »
Robby,
I'll have to check Jerry's books tonight and see what's in there.  Other than that I can't think of anything off the top of my head.  Maybe post the question in the Antique Forum and see if the Library guys know of anything. 

Bill,
Thanks for the compliment   I didn't go as diamond shaped as I have seen some of the Soddy guns but I really like the large comb.  Pain in the butt to make but looks pretty cool to me.

Ken