Author Topic: German flint grippers  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
German flint grippers
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:32:10 PM »
I was looking around on the Rice website and saw an item called a flint gripper that is made in Germany. It says it is designed to replace the lower portion of the leather gripping the flint. Supposedly helps increase frizzen striking area and increase sparking area. Any chance any of you have used them? I am tempted to try them.

Here is a link to them, look about mid-way down the page.
http://www.ricebarrels.com/products.html

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

stubshaft

Re: German flint grippers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:29:15 AM »
Interesting concept.

I was thinking that maybe thin lead could be formed in the same manner?

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:39:14 PM »
Dennis, are you having a problem getting enough sparks???? I see them as just another silly gimmick!....Ed
Ed Hamberg

roundball

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 07:13:56 PM »
The traditional ALR site was the last place I'd ever expect to see this kind of item being discussed  ;D

Made from industrial plastic using the injected mold process.
Increase frizzen striking area.
Enables correction of misalignment of cock to frizzen.
Increase amount of spark.
Securely holds the flint in place

Is this a solution in search of a problem  ;D

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »
Dennis, are you having a problem getting enough sparks?Huh I see them as just another silly gimmick!....Ed
Not really since Troy Roop fixed the little L&R Manton. I just saw them and wondered itf they worked.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:40:09 PM »
Dennis, I think there was a product review in Muzzeloader magazine a couple of issues back... I'll try to remember to look and see.  All I really remember is that in the accompanying picture it looked REALLY PLASTIC!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:42:16 PM »
I made something like these things, of different thicknesses of sheet steel,  to experiment with extending the length of throw on a coupla cocks. Didn't taper them though; although a tapered shim might work as a means to diagnose some issues with the geometry of the cock to frizzen, on certain  locks.

The "shims" seemed to work ok, but really didn't seem to improve the sparks on any of the locks I used them on.

God bless

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »
Maybe they change the angle of attack for locks with bad geometry?  Should be made of hickory, methinks!
Andover, Vermont