Author Topic: breech plug?  (Read 4601 times)

ottawa

breech plug?
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:49:40 PM »
The problem is the patent breech on this rifle I am praticing on has a 16mm x 125 thread I cant find a replacement for it. going to go with a hook style breech . the cal is .45 what is the best size plug recommendations? smallest largest etc this is not a very thick walled barrel I think it measured 7/8ths .

the pat breech is beyond saving the place for the nipple is gone its one of the old style navy arms long rifles with the 2 piece stock and the large brass  piece that puts the 2 stock parts together has RR grove Thur it.

northmn

Re: breech plug?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:39:06 PM »
Worst case, cut it off and have a common breech rethreaded.

DP

roundball

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:30:04 AM »
The problem is the patent breech on this rifle I am praticing on has a 16mm x 125 thread I cant find a replacement for it. going to go with a hook style breech . the cal is .45 what is the best size plug recommendations? smallest largest etc this is not a very thick walled barrel I think it measured 7/8ths .

the pat breech is beyond saving the place for the nipple is gone its one of the old style navy arms long rifles with the 2 piece stock and the large brass  piece that puts the 2 stock parts together has RR grove Thur it.

Don't know if its of any interest to you, but I believe Dennis McCandless can make any breechplug you want...he operates a Custom Breeching shop in New Mexico, recommended by TOW, has done 3 for me now.

http://www.cap-n-ball.com/McC/index.htm

ottawa

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »
I thought about checking with Denis on this one but got to thinking this could be the barrel for a new under hammer ;D and to have a breech custom made for this barrel I cant justify it to my self. If it was an original barrel then yes but not on a cheapo reapo from Spain

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:08:18 AM »
Especially if your going to build a different type of gun around the barrel I would cut the existing threaded section of barrel off and drill and tap for 5/8 -18 by 1/2 deep to the shoulder then fit a comercially available breech plug to your barrel.
BJH

ottawa

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:32:37 AM »
thanks the 5/8 is what I was looking for