Author Topic: Tennessee Longrifle  (Read 8122 times)

colonel64

Tennessee Longrifle
« on: May 08, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »
I want to build a flinter in the Tennessee Longrifle style and I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can and will be willing to answer for me.

Since I don't have the opportunity to handle a real Tennessee style longrifle what readily available printed plans would you suggest for me to purchase of this style?

This would be a first rifle build so what pre-carved stock would you suggest?

Thanks

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Tennessee Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 10:55:15 PM »
Ken Guy, do you ever make plans? (for your rifles, I mean)

I don't know of any off the top of my head. This style rifle is new to me. Maybe Ian Pratt could make some suggestions.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:55:26 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »
If you give Troy Roope,at Stonewall Creek Outfitters a call he has a lot of precarves in stock, and he builds, and teaches. both early 1800-1820, and later 1820 -on.  They are good starters, and Troy has good prices, and can help you with what you will need.  You will want an English lock, and most everyone agrees that the Chambers late Ketland is the lock of choice.  It can be customized, and most of the named builders do.  The precarve will give you a starting profile for an eastern Tennessee rifle, the you just need to study some of the makers, Bull, Bean, and the Beals are among the most copied.  Jerry Noble's books are a great resource for makers and their guns.  research the Contemporary makers Blog  for Ken Guy, Keith Lisle, Ian Pratt, Southern Mountain, or Tennessee. Oh yeah Troys number is (434)993-3557.  Also you can get parts from Track, Pecatonica, or MBS, but I think you will get better service as a beginner from Troy.  My two cents.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 12:30:41 AM »
Ron Borron sells 2 sets of Southern Mt. plans.  5 rifles drawn in each set.  $20 per set through the Log Cabin shop or you can get them direct from Ron.  I think one or two of the rifles are VA or SC / NC rifles.  They are not all TN rifles.  
Ron Borron
496 Village Dr.
Bargersville, In. 46106
317-422-9750
http://www.logcabinonline.com/index1.html

If you are going to work from a pre-carve your best route is Pecatonica.  They sell 3 different versions.  TN Classic, TN Mt., and Southern Mt.   Don't get them with the Siler lock.  While it is a great lock, it is not right for a TN rifle.  You need a English style lock like the L&R they offer.  
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/tennesseeclassic.shtml

The best lock in my opinion for a TN in my book is the Chambers Late Ketland.  Unfortunately, there are no precarves made with this lock.

If you are willing to do more work, more wood removal, inlet the lock then I'd suggest getting a stock from Knob Mt. (member of this board) http://www.knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/
or Tiger Hunt.  They both have very good E. TN patterns but they do not have the inletting work done.  Just the rough shaping, barrel channel and Ram Rod channel done.  

Oh, Welcome tot he board!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:32:27 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

colonel64

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 12:49:39 AM »
Gentlemen thank ya'll for all of the helpful info.  Am I correct in guessing that these pre-carves, that you've suggested, are going to be cut for a straight barrel instead of a swamped barrel?

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 01:57:10 AM »
Knob Mountain will do any profile barrel you want. Swamped or straight .

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 02:08:00 AM »
Suggest if you get a precarve inlet your own lock....could save a ton of frustration!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 07:25:43 AM »
Colonel,

Where do you live?   If you live close to one of us that builds this type of rifle we could walk you doing the whole thing from scratch.   You just need to find a picture or pictures of a rifle you like.    You don't need plans.   You draw the plans on the the stock blank once you have selected a rifle as a pattern and your parts.  Being a plan kind of guy,  I tried building from a plan when I first started out.   It didn't work out well at all.   There is a process to all this and a particular style is only going to change the curve of the connecting lines.   The parts, the pull, the drop and the cast-off to suit you will dictate how everything goes together.  With help, you can do everything yourself.   The original rifles were just stocked from parts.   You can do that and even make most of the parts yourself.   

Mark E.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »
Since I don't have the opportunity to handle a real Tennessee style longrifle what readily available printed plans would you suggest for me to purchase of this style?

Check your email.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

dannybb55

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 05:05:26 AM »
When you have a trigger guard pattern, post a scale picture and I'll forge it for you. I'll even let you do all of the file work. ;D I have some old wrought log chain links that make great stock for a guard.
                                                                         Danny