Author Topic: Getz English rifle stock  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Getz English rifle stock
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:17:49 PM »
Last year at Dixon's, John told me he was working with a stockmaker to produce an English walnut stock in the style of an English sporting rifle that would use his Mark Silver profile barrel. Does anyone know if anything has come of this?

Dale H

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Getz English rifle stock
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »
I know John buys wood and can provide a stock inletted with his barrel. I can't say I know about the English pattern. That would be very interesting.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

billd

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »
Don Getz and Fred MIller have had an English Sporting rifle "kit" for years.  It comes with a 31" swamped barrel but I don't know what the barrel profile is.   I bought one years ago and still have it, my primary hunting gun, I love it.

Don had one on his table this year at Lewisburg. He posted pics here a few months back.

Bill

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 05:10:35 PM »
Bill......the one I had on my table was the original proto-type gun which I built, and Fred and I then went into a joint business venture, producing them in a kit form.   This worked well until Fred came into the shop one day with a finished
gun, complete with a COLERAIN barrel, seems like he could get one cheaper from them.   This ended my involvement in
the kit business.............Don

billd

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »
Oops!

Offline Buffaload

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 11:44:20 PM »
I remember those rifles Don, very nice.  You also had a short barreled fowler didnt you?
Is the stock John is offering the same one you guys had years ago?
Ed

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:18:50 AM »
John has a butt stock shaped, much like an english fowler, to which he would like to add a 28" jager barrel , and possibly
one of the Davis locks, not sure which one.   Also, am not sure what hardware he is going to go with...........Don

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »
Thanks, Don, that sounds like the one he was talking about. He did say it was for a 28" barrel, although I thought he said it would work with a Chambers English lock. If he has a sample ready to show at Dixon's this year, I sure would like to see it.

I have one of your 28" barrels in .54 caliber that I am hoping is the profile he is working with.

Dale H