Author Topic: Patch box thickness?  (Read 4812 times)

TinStar

Patch box thickness?
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:32:06 PM »
What is the most common thickness for patchbox brass?

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Patch box thickness?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:40:21 PM »
I use .062".  Even though I spend an enormous amount of time forming the patchbox finial and side plates to conform to the contour of the stock I like the stiffness of .062", especially for the door which takes quite a workout opening and closing.  I could probably use .050" with no problem, but I would never go as thin as .040".
DMR   

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:41:43 AM »
I was just about to ask what people were using.  I used 0.050 (because that's closest to the commonly available kits, which are 0.052) and think I will go up a step or two in thickness next time.  I'm sure there's "too thick" as well :).  The 0.050 does work, though.

northmn

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:51:46 AM »
When I make a brass patchbox I use pretty heavy stuff like the .062.  The brass in the kits is too thin to suit me.   the side plates can be thin if so desired but the lid is better thicker.

DP

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:29:25 AM »
The Jacob Kuntz rifle in the Met has brass about .03 for the finial and sideplates. It's terrible to work with, according to Taylor. He used thin brass in his JK rifle, and said he'd NEVER use it again, but will stick with  1/16.

Many later originals I have seen (19th cent) have had very thin material, for both side plate and lids.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

jwh1947

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:38:20 AM »
If you go with .062, my preference, you have plenty to pound, shape and file to fit.  Store bought ones are frequently thinner and as for shape and joint fit, they range from OK to horrible.  We teach our apprentices to make a better box by hand.   

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 04:01:44 AM »
The thing I don't like about thick material (1/16") is that the hinge knuckles end up pretty big.  When I've used this material, I've thinned it in the area of the hinge prior to rolling.  This seems to help things out.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 08:16:21 AM »
Given a choice, I use .062. Lots of room for filing and you can file the hinge to any size. Strength as well. I'm bulding a N. Hawk now and have to use thin brass to be accurate but other than that go thick.

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 05:14:55 PM »
The brass thickness I use depends on the Pbox. My preferred thickness for all the parts is .050 but on the BC side openers w/ raised hinges, .032 is used for the plates on both sides of the hinge and one side is soldered on the lid.  For domed lids .050 seems to form better than .062 and provides enough mat'l to "sharpen" the form lines of the dome.  Formerly used .062 but found .050 satisfactory in all respects w/ the noted exception....Fred