Author Topic: Teflon patching  (Read 4508 times)

Daryl

Teflon patching
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »
teflon tape is ptfe
petro tetra floro ethylene.

Does this have anything to do with the coating of teflon on the patching you guys are using for chunk or BR shooting?  If so, the gas produced is dangerous when this product is heated.  This was mentioned on the cast bullet assoc. site - thought it warranted mentioning here.

Dave Faletti

Re: Teflon patching
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:45:52 AM »
Does it get hot enough for long enough to break down significantly?  That stuff is fairly high temp.  If its less than the primer residue in the air I wouldn't worry too much.  Not good to inhale too much smoke regardless.

PTFE is actualy polytetrafluoroethylene.  One word.    ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:49:08 AM by Dave Faletti »

stubshaft

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 03:38:27 AM »
The patches that I've recovered only show a slight singe mark where the powder had ignited.  The teflon portion is mostly intact.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
tks for the correction on spelling Dave.  Does it actually present a danger- I don't know. This came up with guys talking about teflon patching on a bullet - which only bears on the grooves- and is not, due to wads, directly contacted by propellent gasses.  If that concerns some people, perhaps it's a real problem - perhaps it's only that some people over-react to any perceived danger or see danger in virtually everything.
I assume the teflon does not have to be consumed to release this gas?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »
Daryl,

It's the same teflon that is used on a cooking skillet.  You have to get it really hot for quite a while to make it out gas.  If you can cook and eat off of it safely, you can shoot it away safely.  I make a pyrotechnic rocket motor igniter that uses a compound of powdered teflon and powdered magnesium which burns very hot.  In that case, since the teflon is actually consumed in the reaction, you get out gassing that is not good to breath.  But I would not worry about whatever minute amount of teflon is on the patching.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
The round ball bench shooters use it, in fact all of them that I know use it.  Ultra tight and heavy charges....

I use it in my chunk gun and am starting to use it in my offhander at longer ranges.
Shot well last few times....

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:39:11 AM »
TKS, Guys.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 04:47:10 AM »
I have used teflon patching for several years and just last summer another shooter told me that the blue or green stuff that comes off and ends up on my fingers is toxic. I also handle and use flannel cleaning patches between each shot. Now my question is has anyone else herd of this stuff being toxic?             Gary