Author Topic: Antique finish secrets  (Read 19635 times)

Rick

Re: Antique finish secrets
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 02:58:06 AM »
Not to hijack the thread, but all this talk about chemicals reminded me of something one of my high school chemistry teachers once said.  "While you are in my lab, you must observe all safety precautions.  One thing that should always be remembered is hot glass beakers look exactly like cold glass beakers."     ;D      Rick
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:58:53 AM by Rick »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 03:49:40 PM »
"The problem is the idiot factor when you tell people to do stuff you have to assume they will screw it up and poison themselves."

So.........If an idiot poisons himself and nobody hears it, is it really a loss ?

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 06:45:09 AM »
Acer, this stuff is obviously withcraft. Proceed at your peril.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 06:48:58 AM »
P.S.  My dog Sweetpea *#)*^~ on a bunch of my parts once and they looked pretty good after I cleaned them up.  Just a thought.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 06:54:12 AM »
My dog Sweetpea *#)*^~ on a bunch of my parts once and they looked pretty good after I cleaned them up.

I used to have a friend who restored antique clocks.  After fitting new wood, he would smear the parts with dog $#@* and bury them in his garden for 2 months before installing and finishing them.  Said it aged the wood just right.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 07:43:42 AM »
To state that putting dog $#@* on a gun made it look better , doesn't say much for the quality to begin with.  However I have seen a gun or two in that catagory in the past.  Couldn't help myself .  Facts are facts tho.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 06:05:07 PM »
To state that putting dog $#@* on a gun made it look better , doesn't say much for the quality to begin with.

Jerry,
Nobody said anything about putting it on a gun.  He used it as a method to age new wood to match that on antique clocks.

However, examine his methodology.  We use all kinds of different acids to stain and age gunstocks.  Dog @#$%/!! is highly acidic with HCl because they evolved from meat eaters who had to digest meat, cartilage, gristle, etc.  Burying it in the ground and allowing micro-organisms in the soil to digest it would also work on the wood in doing so.  The process would also induce some warping and end grain splitting and when washed and dried would no doubt result in some artificial shrinkage too.

Given some of the $#@* that various people smear on gunstocks to make them look old, his method probably isn't that far off base.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »
I have heard similar techniques about burying wood in horse poo for antiqued wood and iron effect. Not something I'd be able to bring myself to do, after I spent so much time and money on a project.

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 07:31:56 PM »
 I suppose there is something good to be said about nearly everything.  It's a lot esier to learn to apply dog doo doo that it is to do gold inlays, carve  or engrave. 
  Have we really sunk to his level?   Not me.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 07:59:55 PM »
Good grief!!! ???
Tom C.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »
I suppose there is something good to be said about nearly everything.  It's a lot esier to learn to apply dog doo doo that it is to do gold inlays, carve  or engrave. 
  Have we really sunk to his level?   Not me.

The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 09:07:46 PM »
If I rose to the bait everytime, the surface of the pond would never be smooth.

But what does this have to do with understanding aging?  Can we please get back on track?

Tom

Leatherbelly

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »
NO!! Feed me more doo doo! LOL!!!

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »
But what does this have to do with understanding aging?  Can we please get back on track?

Tom

Tom,

Except for the threads that only get three or four replies, have you ever seen a thread on this board that stays on track??

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »
No, I am just a little worried when the guys start playing with doo-doo.

karwelis

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 04:55:57 AM »
well i did this to my barrel with viniger

karwelis