Author Topic: Gunmakers School  (Read 5887 times)

HistoricalArmsMaker

Gunmakers School
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »
Guys, I have to go to Friendship and won't be back until the 23rd. Takes a week ahead of the show just to set up the booth, but I want you all who are interested in a builders school to give me feedback with some ideas before I start to lay out any type of schedule or event. The following is a list I want you to consider to help me design a school for you which addresses gunmaking. These will be subjects I have to consider for both you as the student, and my remote location in the high Ozark Mountains. Our shop is located 20 miles from the nearest town and is a factor we both must deal with. So here goes; read these, think about them and start listing your ideas so I can begin to design this school around you. I will read all your responses when I get back. Don't be bashfull!
1.  THE MOST SERIOUS: Time of school:  When is the most convenient time(s) you as a student can attend a makers school.
2.  Is there interest in weekend long "seminar" school events, or maybe 3 full days. (This may help more folks with job conflicts).
3.  If you prefer a longer school; how long?
4.  This school will address YOUR project, regardless of where you get your parts or supplies, period. My school is all about teaching you mechanical assembly & design of most schools; so, which schools are your main focus?
5.  I don't have rooms for you. Town is 20 miles away. Are you willing to stay in town, or camp out. Keep in mind I do not have hookups of any kind for RVs but do have a 12 acre pasture available. Your RV would have to be totally self contained.
6.  Do you want a class teaching Golden Mean to build your projects?
7.  Tools. A big issue. Do you have your own, or are you willing to get and bring what you will need; or, do you want to purchase them thru me.

Thats the first round. I need your insights! And note that this won't be a one time thing. There will be multiple school events.
Have fun, but keep it serious and as short and to the point as possible. I expect a lot of replies to have to read!
Thanks guys!  Susie

Offline flehto

Re: Gunmakers School
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »
The motivation for your "project" is well meaning and is to be complimented,  but I think  lodging is an overwhelming deterrent to the success of the school. Your remote  location limits  the number of people who are willing to stay at "other" accomodations at addt'l cost 20 miles away from the classroom. or those that have mobile homes or full camping equipment that would utilize your property. A lot of younger folks  have neither the money or equipment to stay at either option in addition to the school fees. Moving the school to a more accessible location that has moderate lodging  and eateries would seem to be a wiser decision....Fred
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:01:24 PM by flehto »

California Kid

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:05:47 AM »
Who is going to teach the classes?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 02:36:42 AM »
Your remote  location limits  the number of people who are willing to stay at "other" accomodations at addt'l cost 20 miles away from the classroom.

20 miles away for lodging really seems like a  non-issue to me. Most everyone I know has to drive 25-30 one way to work each day.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 05:18:42 AM »
Just build a bunkhouse and have everyone help in the kitchen and housekeeping.   Iff its gonna be weekends or 3 days iteach course will need a distinct focus. May take a few to build a whole gun!!  What size would you limit the classes to?

I think folks could bring their own tools and even buy some from you. Teaching and actually making some home made tools would be good too. Like making scrapers  etc.

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:47:37 AM »
I wouldn't see a twenty mile drive back and forth to a motel as a deterrent. However, if you were letting the students have a lunch break every day, twenty miles to an eatery and back every day might be to much.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

don getz

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »
Susie...as the California Kid said, who is going to teach the school.   I don't think I have ever seen a gun that you have
built.......have you built any?       Don

Photog

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
This is school, a 20 mile bus ride was the norm for me in school. If everyone is in one hotel just car pool. As far as lunch, again this is school, brown bag it.

For tools, I think you need to go both directions. (Keep in mind I don't have any gun building time, so I may be talking out my butt. ) I think you would have to have 2-3 complete sets of tools at the school, for the students to use. Also, ask the students to bring their own, but for folks that can't aford all the tools, knowing that you have some to use would get more people to sign up. If I have to buy $500 to $1000 worth of gun parts and then buy another $1000 worth of tools and then pay $1000 for a class, it's going to take a few years to save up to do this. I forgot travel, food and hotel, add another year.

There is a lot to think about! A traveling school might have some merit. Find shop space in a few spots around the country and every year or every few months do a week in each spot.

Marty

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »
She built all the guns on the cover of her catalog, rifle and pistol. I think she also built most of the rifles on her site. When we get back from Friendship i will remind her to send out some pictures. She is also teaching a semenar on building rifles using the Golden Mean at Friendship.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 05:36:16 PM »
Suzie builds some beautiful & very correct rifles.  Having been to her shop on a few occasions, I can tell you that it really isn't all that remote, but there are no hotels or restaraunts around.  There are charms to that in that her location is nice & quiet.....I really appreciate nice & quiet.  If I were to attend one of her classes (& I will), I would take a small travel trailer or other RV & park it up there on her mountain.  Suzie has ample parking for a few small RVs or tents & I can see her classes becoming a fun little get together.   The highway up to her turnoff is typical Arkansas, twisty but in good condition, & the gravel road past the turnoff is pretty good as well.

If I were coming from any significant distance, I would plan to make a vacation of it.  Hit Eureka Springs or Hot Springs Ntl. Park before or after to make your wife happy, or fish/float the Buffalo River.  You could also get an overdose of Hollywood Redneck in Branson, MO.  The idea has merit & the details can be worked out.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.