Author Topic: Hidden Patchbox Release  (Read 4533 times)

g rummell

Hidden Patchbox Release
« on: December 14, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
I am currently reproducing a fine Daniel Border Bedford County rifle for a customer and it should have a hidden patchbox release under the upper sideplate of the patchbox close to the butt plate. At this point after hours upon hours of trying to figure this out, I have come to the conclusion that these master gunsmiths were a whole heck of a lot smarter than I. Can anybody out there help me with the mechanics of such a release? I'm the type of person who needs pictures to help him understand so a rough drawing would be greatly appreciated.  ;D

Offline Ted Kramer

Re: Hidden Patchbox Release
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
If I can get the scan of my diagram to show up OK, it may be of some help to you. This diagram shows the release button protruding through the side plate but the button could easily be disguised as a screw head or a portion of the side plate could be made to push down and move the button.

The entire mechanism is set just under the butt plate.  Hope this helps.

Ted K.

g rummell

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 06:36:39 PM »
Thanks Ted!
I printed her out and I should be good to go.
For some reason when I was trying to figure it out, I had the whole setup backwards.  ???

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »
Hi  I just sent a couple of pics to your  email  I don't have them in photobucket yet. In the pic you can see the set up O K.  I dint have any hint as to where it is on the gun . I  relieve the woos on the corner and you pinch the side plate ti open it. The pencil line in the pic is where the pin lives. I used a hardened brass spring ( seee photo ) as you don't need much in that spot. I will email you another pic of the box and it will be cnear that there is no hiht as to where it is
Cheers   Bob

g rummell

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »
Thanks Bob, I recieved your pics.
You guys have been a big help.

Thanks,
Gary

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:01:12 PM »
Here are some pictures of the Jacob Kuntz patch box release.  It's very similar to Ted's except the spring is a little different, and the button is flush with the side plate.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:04:21 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 08:47:42 PM »
Taylor, that's a fine piece of work! Was the spring cavity opened up under the butt plate, then a piece of wood fit & glued back in? Otherwise how was the spring inserted?
Thanks for the pics!
Tom C.