Author Topic: 1770 serjeant of grenadiers  (Read 4291 times)

ramserl

1770 serjeant of grenadiers
« on: June 05, 2010, 11:01:44 PM »
this was a fun carbine to build  putting myself out there so what do you think??

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:15:32 AM by tallbear »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: 1770 serjeant of grenadiers
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:57:51 PM »
Excellent! The Brits are going to be making you offers!! What finish did you use?  I would like the wood a little more filled, but I suspect this is appropriate for a military carbine. 
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:57:12 AM »
You've done a very respectable job on your musket.  I'm a shooter, and I recognize that your stock architecture lends itself well to shooting.  It won't smash your cheek bone with decent loads.  You'll have a ball shooting that one.
I'm curious about the gap behind the tang...it looks deliberate in view of the rest of the inletting.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

cheyenne

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 01:43:20 AM »
 ;D Very nice....how about some particulars....TRS parts, or something you put together out of other parts? Caliber....I'm assuming carbine caliber, but....barrel length, etc........

Offline FALout

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:44:42 AM »
It's too shiney, I'd bet a little bit of shooting will take care of that.
Good job
Bob

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 02:36:18 AM »
Great looking rifle! Your pictures speak for themselves. Thanks for sharing .. Bill Hey

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »
Yeah, that is nice work. IMHO, some colored beeswax will fill the gap behind the tang, in addition to giving s soft fill that will prevent break out of the wood behind the tang.

I'm curious about the radius in front of the screw on the tang? Is that just a distortion in the photo,or did you file a flat for mounting the tang screw?

IMHO, it isn't necessary to file a flat to mount the screw. Once the screw head is in the countersink, it will blend in well, even on a radiused tang. Just for future reference. 

Again, all in all, nice work.

God bless

ramserl

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 02:00:59 AM »
thanks all for the comments.  I built this for a customer that is very particular about what he wants!  He wanted a musket that is new ,like it came off the line in England.  I think it is to shiny to.  The gap at the tang is what he wanted.  Didn't want it to chip out. A lot of over kill but he drew the line.  It bothers me more than anything was going to leave that picture out but got excited when I figured out how to post pictures.  The flat spot on the tang is a shadow in the picture I didn't file anything flat (that picture bugs me too)

Again thanks for taking the time to look and comment. new to building and this sight is great lots of aw some builder out there.

Ray Ramsey