Author Topic: Bevel up/Bevel down  (Read 22436 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Bevel up/Bevel down
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
Absolutely!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 04:38:46 PM »
If you would develop a frizzen using the Golden Mean it would keep the topic active all summer.
Well as it happens, 3 to 5 on that frizz face seems like the sweet spot alright! ;D

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »
If you would develop a frizzen using the Golden Mean it would keep the topic active all summer.
Well as it happens, 3 to 5 on that frizz face seems like the sweet spot alright! ;D

Roger only if the length of the Lock plate is a 5 and the hight of the  frizzen a 3 !  :P

Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 06:27:30 PM »
ok so here is a monkey wrench, i read somewhere that allot of early flints (or perhaps it was "cheap" flints), were beveled on both sides due to ease of manufacture and less waste material (i want to say it was an article in the rifle shoppe catalog, but i dont remember for sure), if this was indeed the case then perhaps man locks have geometry that is made for a "split difference" between up and down, which may explain why a worn flint turned upside down works quite well in my couple of locks. dont have the experience to make claims, just asking questions (i am the cheap bastard that will use a flint backwords to get a couple more shots out of it, and my l&r queen anne will spark like mad with just about anything other that the chunk of wood i kept it it while working on the gun)
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

northmn

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »
Use a Dremmel with a grinding wheel and make a flat for the leather to grip on my flints now also.  Does seem to help increase some flint life but I have a few that now fit a smaller lock.

DP

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 07:42:08 PM »
Yes, we have all had this discussion at one point or another. The usual method is to place your flint so that the lock sparks the best, and that's how your flint should be installed. Right?

I was reading this topic over, and several members are talking as if BEVEL DOWN is the way to go. How ca this be? Gary Brumfield says the English lock was designed for bevel down. Dan Phariss says flint will not flake properly bevel up, because of the grain structure of the rock. Filipski says flint will self sharpen when mounted bevel down. Pletcher chimes in and says he gets most consistent results with bevel down.

Both Phariss and Filipski say that if a lock won't work bevel down, they fix it so it does!

Inconceivable!

My question is: If one were to go about 'fixing' his lock, what would that look like? What does it mean?

Regards, Tom

First let me say that how someone clamps a rock in the cock of the flintlock is really not important to me. I look at things from the historical perspective and this is important when people try to make things as they WANT rather than how they were. Historically, from everything I see the flint was used bevel down and the locks were DESIGNED for this. If not they would have made the frizzens smaller to save carbon steel.
Some one mentioned using bevel up shortens the cock. This is true. It ALSO changes the ANGLE the flint contacts the frizzen. Something accomplished by changing the angle of the cocks lower jaw, if needed, when tuning a lock.
 But if the flints were to be used upside down why are the frizzens so long? If the flint is to be used upside down and the flint then strikes the middle of the frizzen?

If I look at the Manton I made from TRS castings the flint bevel down strikes high on the frizzen. But the frizzen is SMALL compared to either Siler.
If the flints are supposed to be put in upside down why are the frizzens made for right side up?
All the drawings in Georges book except one doglock with a very small frizzen are drawn bevel down. All the photos are bevel down as well.
George was a writer, at least 3 books on firearms before WW-II, collector and student of firearms  who was killed by a sniper in 1942, .
I suspect he had seen quite a few flintlocks by the time he wrote "English Guns & Rifles". Thinking someone has gone through all the museums and collections in England to change all the flints from bevel up to bevel down is simply silly.
Not to mention that some locks may have the top jaw screw hitting the frizzen with an upside down flint.
Most locks today have weak springs. Strong springs do not break flints if the lock is right.
The Manton copy listed above has very stiff springs, I set it up this way INTENTIONALLY, making a mainspring and reaching the frizzen spring. It almost NEVER requires knapping the flint. Nor is it all that hard on flints. But when it fails to spark the flint is shot, knapping will only give 1-2 more shots before more missfires. It has reasonable flint life 30-40 shots maybe and is VERY reliable and consistent. The only lock I think I could buy right now and not expect to have to either make or reshape the springs is the Chambers Siler.
MOST ORIGINAL LOCKS HAVE COLLAPSED SPRINGS. So if someone makes a lock by casting the original spring it will be weak on 2 fronts, its a cast spring and its cast with far less preload than the original lock had when NEW.
Then people wonder why they have to jump through hoops to make the lock work.
Couple this with cast parts that are perhaps a little "off" either from bent waxes or changes made by people who make locks but don't understand how they work and more problems result.
If the lock will not spark with the flint right side up and the frizzen appears OK I IMMEDIATELY increase mainspring tension and usually do the frizzen spring as well OR modifiy the cock. For example the frizzen spring DOES do more than just hold the frizzen shut. Anyone who believes otherwise needs to do more study.  Such as why the better quality English locks are set up with significant ramps and/or rollers that greatly increase resistance. Almost any lock will spark without  a frizzen spring, but that does not mean it works BEST this way. Not to mention that weak frizzen springs can break flints or cause chatter marks on the frizzen face.
It is also impossible to say this lock needs this or that changed without having it in your hands and trying it.
But I can say that most locks respond very well to rearching or making new stronger  frizzen and mainsprings. The mainspring in many "cast from original" locks has FAR less preload than would be found on an original lock.
I have a lock made by a friend of mine has an original "modern" shotgun lock spring bought in bulk years ago that has over 1/2" of preload to compress to hook it to the link. These locks were bad to eat flints. BUT at the makers recommendation I changed the frizzen to the L&R 1700 and it CURED IT. The frizzen has a DIFFERENT CURVE TO THE FACE. The one he was buying in the 1970s was flat and simply broke flints far too often.
Back in the late 60s (?)Muzzle Blasts there was an article in which the author(s) wrote of making an adjustable lock in which they could change frizzen angles etc etc to find what worked best. It was very informative.
But people buy a lock with weak springs, perhaps other "problems". They put it in a lock and it won't work. Many possible reasons, cock sets at the 1/2 cock position is one pet peeve. This is an energy thing. The flint needs some speed (energy) when it contacts the frizzen. If the full cock is in the wrong place (too low) so the cock cannot accelerate much before the flint contacts the frizzen face.
I have recently used 2 of the same locks from a major maker. One of my projects for today is making a new sear for one I have in a pistol I am finishing. To make this lock work right I have, so far, rearched 2 springs, welded and redrilled the tumbler hole and reworked the cock (removing over 1/8" of metal) so the flint comes down to the proper point when the cock is at rest. The majority if people who would buy this lock either lack the ability to do this or would not even know it needed to be done in the first place. Its a GREAT lock once its fixed. But its an assembled kit when purchased. For a late flint gun or pistol is really nice, lock does not even jar a pistol when "fired". The other one I used about 6 months ago needed everything noted but welding the lock plate.
Would I use one again? If I needed this style lock I would use it in a heartbeat. I LIKE the lock.

One more thing. While looking for the MB article above I came across a Russ Hamm ad with a  Bedford with a big, too big to work in the lock, upside down flint installed. But it also appears to have no leather or lead jaw pad and could have been done by a photographer (?).

I have Hamilton and Emery's "Eighteenth Century Gunflints from Michilimackinac and other Colonial Sites" I guess I need to read the whole thing and see if this is mentioned there. For me its a difficult read.
I would point out that a GREAT many flints of the 18th century were spalled rather than flaked and had no real bevel.

And, rather than saying fixing locks is "inconceivable" I see it as par for the course.
But the locks have to work. The pistol I am making will surely be used as a pack along piece by its owner while hunting in "occupied Grizzly Bear habitat", it has to work. A man was killed and mostly eaten by a Gbear in an area he frequents June 17. http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/article_f40ecce6-7b15-11df-aed5-001cc4c03286.html

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »

Roger only if the length of the Lock plate is a 5 and the hight of the  frizzen a 3 !  :P

Jim
Well Jimbo If I divide the friz face vertically in to 5 equal parts I found the sweet spot at the 3 vertical position (well maybe 3 1/2) ;) ;D

See ya at Check's fair ???

Offline heinz

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 09:25:48 PM »
Dan, I have some problem following your logic on frizzen height.  I agree with all your statements about springs and re-curving the frizzens and adjusting cocks. These are excellent observations.

Let me pose two questions; 1) why were frizzens often half soled? 2) why are frizzens often much narrower at the top?  Perhaps because the upper 1/3 of the frizzen is there for the artistic look and top give functional mass to the frizzen rather than as a striking surface? Some early Spanish locks have the short frizzen where the flint contacts very near the top.  The,y are not very attractive to my eye at least..
I have never seen the the bevel orientation, up or down, make much of a difference in a well tuned lock.  I have seen flints that could be cantankerous and work better one way than the other in the same lock.
I have not however done any scientific studies and would defer to the distinguished Mr Pilcher on the data.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 11:56:05 PM »
Me think's Acer is trying to kill time til Dixon's, or he's practicing his Judging skills.  Don't matter how you mount your rock, as long as you get sparks every time.  I'd like to know how some of these builders get them wooden, and rubber flints to spark.  You know we see them all the time when they're showing off a new build. :D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 12:48:21 AM »
Be careful of the man selling wooden flints. Related to the guy who made the wooden horse.

Seriously, I think the little tweaks to the lock can make a good lock into a great one. Yes, my lock sparks as is, bevel up or bevel down, but as I drift across the ten ring, and drop the shot into the eight ring, I wonder if a little more positive ignition would get me into the nine instead. Or from off the paper to on it.  ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 03:14:56 AM »
Me think's Acer is trying to kill time til Dixon's, or he's practicing his Judging skills.  Don't matter how you mount your rock, as long as you get sparks every time.  I'd like to know how some of these builders get them wooden, and rubber flints to spark.  You know we see them all the time when they're showing off a new build. :D

Bill
This is done to show the rifle is safe. 

Dean D.

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 03:24:36 AM »
As a relative newbie to flintlocks I have found this discussion very informative and interesting. 

Recently I had the slightly damp pleasure of attending the 2010 Pacific Primitive Rendezvous where I found the following gem on Traders row;

"The Manufacture Of Gunflints" by Sydney B.J. Skertchly, F.G.S.  London, 1879  (1984 reprint with introduction written by Seymour de Lotbiniere, Brandon Hall, 1983)

One of the things I found interesting in the book was the subject of proper flint installation.  The introduction references "Rees' Cyclopaedia (1819) "Where flints have a curve, they should always be so fixed in the vice, as to give the curve a downward direction; since in that way they act more forcibly, and offer the greatest resistance."  He goes on to add:  "This would mean that anyone following this advice would normally, (if the flint properly fits the weapon), fix the flint flat surface uppermost.  This would equally apply the most wedges, which also tend to have on their flat face a convex slope from heel to firing edge."

Also in this book the author is convinced that prior to ca. 1790 the English knappers did not use the flake method but rather used the "wedge" style.  He surmises that the flake method came to England on or about 1790 via POW's of the Napoleonic War.

I am not trying to say that "bevel down" is the only correct method of flint installation but rather pointing out a reference showing that early English scholars believed this was the correct way to do so.

Submitted for your consideration, Dean D.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 03:28:41 AM »
Dan, I have some problem following your logic on frizzen height.  I agree with all your statements about springs and re-curving the frizzens and adjusting cocks. These are excellent observations.

Let me pose two questions; 1) why were frizzens often half soled? 2) why are frizzens often much narrower at the top?  Perhaps because the upper 1/3 of the frizzen is there for the artistic look and top give functional mass to the frizzen rather than as a striking surface? Some early Spanish locks have the short frizzen where the flint contacts very near the top.  The,y are not very attractive to my eye at least..
I have never seen the the bevel orientation, up or down, make much of a difference in a well tuned lock.  I have seen flints that could be cantankerous and work better one way than the other in the same lock.
I have not however done any scientific studies and would defer to the distinguished Mr Pilcher on the data.

Frizzens are 1/2 soled for the same reason they are now, they are made of a material that will not spark or will not case deep enough to spark for any length of time or THEY WORE TOO THIN for further use or reasonable service live.
The flint cannot strike at the top of the frizzen. Variations in the flint will result in one flint striking over the top top and another perhaps 1/8" or more lower. Thus there will always be a 1/4" or so of the frizzen that is unused. Its tapered most likely for 2 reasons, makes the frizzen lighter and it LOOKS BETTER than a square blocky top on the frizzen. Look at some early locks and you will see frizzens much like this and they are ugly.

Research has shown that in Colonial times most gun flints seemed to have been spall type that have no actual bevel so in this context bevel up/down is not applicable. Apparently the British did not start making flaked flints, what we use now, until the 1770s. The French knew how and made them earlier and the British Army apparently preferred  French flaked flints when they could be had.

Dan

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 04:05:11 AM »
Well Jimbo If I divide the friz face vertically in to 5 equal parts I found the sweet spot at the 3 vertical position (well maybe 3 1/2) ;) ;D

@!*% Roger! I just checked 5 different locks & you are correct....... The Curse of the "Golden Beans"  strikes again!
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Niall Sadler

• Starting Member
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 06:12:14 AM »
The truth of the matter is that as long as the flint hits the cock at the appropriate angle and location to get maximum spark it doesn't matter whether it  is bevel up or down. I have found that most flints seem to work best bevel down. I think it is mostly just a function of the way the lock is designed and the how the flint has been knapped or shaped. I do agree however that some locks work just seem to work better when the bevel is up.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 08:53:45 AM »
Dan, Roger, Flip, now how do we extend that 'sweet spot'?

Bending the frizz to get the flint shearing spark sooner? Won't that require more power over a longer period? Which means a more powerful mainspring, and polishing all bearing surfaces to remove any friction. My large siler hits, bounces, and finally scrapes enough spark to get ignition going. I assume this because of the horizontal chatter marks. ( they return after I true the face up)

What is that glorious angle we wish to maintain? I guess I could look at my gun and see where it starts to scrape rather than bounce, and get a measurement from that. Check where it leaves off scraping, and take that angle, too. That would be the min/max, would it not?

Tom

points off for rubber flints.....
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2010, 05:36:04 PM »
Spall flints do most often have a flat side and a rounded side.  I have dozens and dozens of original English spall flints, and over 70% have a flat side and a rounded side.  There are some that appear wedge-like, with bevels on both sides, but these are the distinct minority.

There is much confusion about the reasons why some flints were spall flints and some blade flints, and many myths proposed, such as the Englishman somehow forgot how to strike blades off a nodule after the stone age passed.  The Brits would have had to have serious shortcomings in mental capacity to not know how to do this, as it is something well known since before Cro-Magnon times, and blade-style flints were being made all over Europe.  It is clear that both types were included in the same barrels of flints being traded.  Thus, it appears that the same shops on the same days produced both spall and blade style flints.  Archeological sites here show spall and blade style flints present in the same horizons.  This indicates that it is not the lack of knowledge of a technique, but a material reason.  When making flints, eventually one gets to the point where the core is too small to make blades.  But one writer long ago proposed a theory about why earlier English flints were spall type, and later on, blade types predominate, and it became fact.  Much like the fact that a flintlock rifle fires before the cock comes to rest.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
Dan, Roger, Flip, now how do we extend that 'sweet spot'?

Bending the frizz to get the flint shearing spark sooner? Won't that require more power over a longer period? Which means a more powerful mainspring, and polishing all bearing surfaces to remove any friction. My large siler hits, bounces, and finally scrapes enough spark to get ignition going. I assume this because of the horizontal chatter marks. ( they return after I true the face up)

What is that glorious angle we wish to maintain? I guess I could look at my gun and see where it starts to scrape rather than bounce, and get a measurement from that. Check where it leaves off scraping, and take that angle, too. That would be the min/max, would it not?

Tom

points off for rubber flints.....

The easiest way is to copy a late English lock. The Manton recessed breech rifle lock is great. I am sure the earlier high end English lock castings from TRS will make a great lock.

The L&R 1700 Manton/Bailes is an EXCELLENT 1780s period design.
The larger L&R waterproof lock works pretty well with the double throat cock if the front leg is cut just the width of a hacksaw kerf then bent down and welded. At lest on the one I used way back when. I think its too big even for a Hawken so I have not used it again. But this change made a MAJOR difference in speed and reliability.

The small and large Siler is a good lock, probably the best for a kentucky for being right and pretty darned fool proof. You can buy one from Chambers put it in a gun and expect it to work.  But its not right for every application.
The L&R round faced lock is very reliable and fast if the mainspring is strong enough.

The problem with the late English locks is that they are not suitable for guns prior to about 1800.
So we fall back on the Siler and the various older designs for most uses.
But some American makers did use them North in pistols for example so the locks were apparently available in the late flint period in America.
Having just turned the flint over in the Manton I can say it sparks very impressively "upside down" but it lacks nothing right side up either. Good lock.

A friend recently acquired a rifle that sparks much better upside down.
Then we have the question of does the lock produce faster times with the upside down flint. It lets the flint travel marginally farther before striking the frizzen. Does this speed things up?
Does the upside down flint put the sparks in a DIFFERENT LOCATION? This can be important to both speed and reliability.
But this will likely vary with the lock, the casting its made of etc etc. Its impossible to say what a lock needs or does not need until its tested.

This lock is pretty much the final evolution of the flintlock so far as the frizzen/cock/flint relationship.
Note it has a large cock in relation to the frizzen.

Manton copy at 1/2 cock with a pretty well used flint.

As flint strikes the frizzen not how high it strikes.

Note that the frizzen face as are many is narrow top and bottom. Probably pure aesthetics. Forgive the sloppy fit at the top of the added face. It was put on hard with soft solder. I should have put it on soft with braze but was afraid of getting brass in the cast in engraving.

At rest.

If I don't fix my wife's car by noon I am in deep do do so better sign off.
Dan