Author Topic: Demagnitization  (Read 7165 times)

Bruce

Demagnitization
« on: July 04, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
   It's a Sunday morning and my mind is a bit slow, but what is a good procedure to demagnitize screwdriver blades, chisels and the like?  Hate those little bits o' metal that enjoy gathering as those locations.

Levlander Broomwalker, observer of life's clock.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Demagnitization
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
Jeesh,  :o I always try to get mine magnetized so I don't drop those little screws!!! :o ;D :D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:36:54 PM »
If you have a Weller soldering gun, the kind that looks like a pistol? The element is a loop, so spread those far enough apart to pass your screwdriver thru the loop while pressing the trigger.

http://cableorganizer.com/images/soldering-gun-weller/soldering-gun-weller.jpg
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Bruce

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:01:49 PM »
       GREAT!  Thanks, Tom.  Worked like a charm.   Now for another question.  Why do an electrical plugs now have   two seperate blade sizes?  Electricity doesn't care which way it flows.  Years back, when things were more realistic, the blades were the same size.  It was mentioned that computers demanded the change.  But on drills, heat guns, lamps?!?  Seems like standardization carried to a fault... like parking lot stripes. 

Sugestions???

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »
Welcome to the world of electronics, OSHA and regulation. The reason most electrical tools today require a polarized plug is safety. In the old days depending on how you plugged in your tool you could have been turning on the tool by switching the neutral from open to close to complete the circuit. That means some part of the motor was always energized. If you recall when we had non- polarized plugs they were also only 2 prongs.
   Today the third round prong grounds the housing of the tool or motor or both. It is also independent and insulated from the neutral and hot legs clear back to the panel. Should a fault occur, if the home or shop is wired correctly, it will take the fault current back to the main panel and not into your hand, heart and feet. Electricity follows the path of least resistance to ground. However it will energize anything in that path. thus creating a hazard for the user of the tool. With all the modern wiring rules and regulations and if followed, this three prong polarized plug system is far safer for the operator of the tool. GFCI circuits and Polarized plugs are a pain sometimes however. I am sure someone may be able to explain this better but I gave it a shot. Bob

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 07:29:11 PM »
        I understand the ground portion of a three pronged plug, but the use of unsymetrical blades on a two pronged plug is what baffles me.

omark

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
        I understand the ground portion of a three pronged plug, but the use of unsymetrical blades on a two pronged plug is what baffles me.

the different size prongs are so you cannot cut off the round plug then insert the plug backwards, as could be done before 3 prongs became standard. if plugged in backwards, the whole motor windings etc are charged and the tool is turned on by completing the ground through the switch. when plugged in properly, the wire to the switch is all that is energized.  mark

Offline v308

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 05:46:10 AM »
Thanks for the questions and answers, ya'll addressed some of those things that wander through my head from time to time.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »
What has this thread got to do with gun building?
Gene

California Kid

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »
Demagnetizing your gun building tools.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 06:22:47 PM »
What has this thread got to do with gun building?

I thought the same thing at first, but then I have some magentized screwdrivers, which magnetize the screws on the sear and bridle, and the all the little iron filings cling to them, get stuck in the works, and the fly gets a mouthful of filings to boot, and where is this going anyway?

I think you can magnetize and de-magnetize with the soldering gun, just matter which way you pass the tool thru the loop.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 02:05:16 PM »
Polarization has nothing to do with switching, it has to do with SAFETY.  In the old days when 3-wire (hot, common, ground) was not required, the polarized plug was intented to keep the case of the tool/appliance connected to the "common" (white) wire in order to help reduce the electrocution hazard to the operator.  A typical plug/outlet looked like this:

The above 2-wire connection still posed a serious safety hazard because even though the "common" is the normal return path of current to the source, it can, and will be, at some potential above earth ground - that means you can very well be electrocuted by the "common" (white) wire.  2-wire devices are still perfectly legal provided that neither conductor is attached to the case or any other exposed conductive surface of the tool/appliance - sometimes you will find 2-wire tools/appliances still carrying the "double insulated" identifier which is what allowed a mfg to legally use a non-polarized connector on a device as the device did not have any exposed conducting parts deliberately connected to a current conducting wire/part.  This still poses a problem because a mechanical fault can result in exposed conductive surfaces becoming energized and thus injuring/killing the operator.  If you'll note the "W" designation on the above gif identifies the larger "common" blade.  2-wire male connectors (plugs) are still widely used on tools/appliances but 2-wire outlets are normally limited to only low-voltage DC (direct current) supplies and control/signal line connections.

The result was making the 3-wire connector device the new standard. 

On the above you will note the "G" designation to identify the "Equipment Ground" terminal and "W" to identify the "common" terminal.  The ONLY place the "common" and "EG - equipment ground" will EVER be connected is at the service entrance (or source if using a generator).  The reason for this is that the common line (center tap from the utility transformer) must return to earth ground - at every downstream point from the service entrance, the "EG" MUST be isolated from the "common" conductor!  I see so many people who "think" they know what they're doing making the assumption that it doesn't matter if it's white or green and many who don't have a clue which end is up when it comes to electrical creating extremely dangerous conditions.  If you don't know what you're doing, don't touch it!

What does this have to do with gun building?  EVERYTHING because it has to do with SAFETY.  You wouldn't hand a loaded and cocked gun to your 3 year old grandchild and walk away would you?  Then why create a situation where you'll cause your 3 year old grandchild to be electrocuted?  Think it can't happen ... think again!  Grandpa "thought" he knew what he was doing and "thought" it was a waste of money to hire a qualified electrician to wire his workshop - A few months later his 3 year old grandson under his care died by electrocution in that workshop because of grandpa's combined ignorance and frugality.

Every year in the United States around 400 people DIE via electrocution and another 1,500 suffer serious/permanent electrocution injury because of improper installed wiring.  Faulty wiring is also responsible for more than 110,000 fires resulting in more than 850 deaths and 4,000 serious/permanent injuries annually. 
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline TPH

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 06:59:04 PM »
FL-Flinter, good reply with several points well made.
T.P. Hern

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 02:29:42 AM »
My first drill was a metal cased non-polorized plug Craftsman. That combination will send you to non-electric hand tools in a hurry (well after the third time anyway)