Author Topic: Don Getz on the Blog  (Read 10147 times)

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
Don Getz on the Blog
« on: June 30, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »
Nice work Don, Love the simplicity!

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Don Getz on the Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 11:13:31 PM »
I love the gun, and so do some of my Mason customers, if its a raffle gun are tickets available?          Gary

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:42:47 AM »
Real clean, as always.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:39:22 AM »
Thanks guys.   I thought it turned out pretty well.  It has a 44" medium weight dickert barrel in 54 cal., super siler, and a
great trigger pull, weights in at just over 7#.    Extremely hard piece of wood, which is probably the reason my back is on the blink right now, it was hard rasping, even with those Nicholson rasps.   The top of the heel is shaped like a buttplate
with a band across the front edge.    I will have the gun at Dixon's, and will talk about it a little in my sunday presentation, along with a pre-shaped stock that I started with.   Will also have it at the CLA, and at Mac Spencer's Eastern Pa. show in Sept.    My Lodge came up with money problem so I built it for them to chance off, merely as a money
maker, just doing my good duty.   The ticket sales will be a low key item, I don't want to offend Chuck or anyone at the
CLA, so, you may have to ask about them.   If you want some thru the mail, send a message to me at "dggetz@nmax.net"
, thanks..............Don

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 01:42:02 AM »
I really enjoy these simple clean guns ,I especially like the fact Mr Getz retains the  sliding patch box .These series of guns really should be in the Library .

Is may be more of a gun building question but I wonder if sealing the butt end with thinned acraglass or something would be  worthwhile ,kind of like an invisible reinforcement treatment.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:47:26 AM »
Stuart......sounds like a good idea, but, you would be amazed at how little wear shows on them, even after a lot of use.
My chunk gun has no buttplate and it has been fired hundreds of times and shows very little wear.   I suppose if you loaded it in the gravel or stones it might chew it up a little, but, would be easy to renew.......Don

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:19:03 AM »
Really like it. Nice lines. A lot more work than it looks.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 03:59:32 AM »
Don,

That's a really nice looking gun.  Just shows that fancy isn't always better...  Can't wait to see her at Dixon's!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 04:31:49 AM »
Don,

Really nice.  Slender, sleek and beautiful.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
Great work Don.  I really like the design of this rifle...a fabulous shooter.  I love that long wrist and deep triangular butt.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »
Don, what do you look for in grain structure to help keep the toe from getting knocked off when no buttplate is used??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 10:38:01 PM »
Tim.....I don't look for anything special.   It would be almost impossible to find a stock that had grain running in a direction
that would prevent splitting.    The grain in all stocks is running basically horizontal, so, it is possible to split a toe off of
any gun.    You see a lot of old guns where the toe has been busted off and glued back on.   It could easily happen to a
barn gun if the toe was smacked on a real hard object, such as a rock, or whatever.   Maybe I'm spoiled but I have always
treated my guns like guns, not walking sticks or props...........Don

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
Some people have sent me E-mail's inquiring about the chances we are selling on that barn gun, and how to obtain them.
If you haven't received an answer from me it's because  I can't get this "machine" I am typing on to return a message.
No problem in receiving E-mails, it just won't send any.  So, if you are interested, send me an E-mail, but, include a phone
number, I'll get back to you the old fashioned way....thanks.........Don

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 05:59:04 PM »
Some people have sent me E-mail's inquiring about the chances we are selling on that barn gun, and how to obtain them.
If you haven't received an answer from me it's because  I can't get this "machine" I am typing on to return a message.
No problem in receiving E-mails, it just won't send any.  So, if you are interested, send me an E-mail, but, include a phone
number, I'll get back to you the old fashioned way....thanks.........Don
I'll assume you will have the rifle and tickets for us peons to buy at the log shoot!!!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
As a positively pathological fan of barnguns, schimmels, poorboys, plainguns, this one sings to me. Among the very best I've seen. Love what you've done with the buttstock. I'd purely love this in a .40!!!

Don--live long and keep it up!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 10:32:17 PM »
Brother Don,
Please post the address and/or information in the "For Sale" section so we can all buy some tickets.  Very nice barn gun by the way.  I'd proudly hang it on my wall.  
Ken
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 10:35:58 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 11:47:34 PM »
Will do Ken, thanks..........Don

jwh1947

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 06:02:14 AM »
I have a hypothesis.  Don's gun is very consistent with many 175-year-old classic hunters to be found in these parts, just better made.  Wayne