Author Topic: James Clark Pa gunsmiith  (Read 4039 times)

portvet

James Clark Pa gunsmiith
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:56:34 AM »
Am trying to find info on James Clark, a revolutionary war vet who later built rifles in the Huntington Pa area.  One of his rifles was on display at the Old Bedford Village in Bedford,Pa about 8 years ago.  He was an artillery artificer at Ticonderoga and was also in the defeat at Brandywine,Pa.  Was captured and survived the war and became a gunsmith.  He is my great grandfather to the fifth power.  He lived to 75 and is buried in the Williamsburg,Pa cemetary.  I have a pic of one of his rifles.

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
Re: James Clark Pa gunsmiith
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 03:40:42 PM »
I have the guns of Bedford, Huntingdon, and Somerset Counties Book, I can look to see if there is any info in there.  Perhaps Art DeCamp, also from Huntingdon County may know of some connections???  I am from the Northeastern corner of Huntingdon County myself.

Brett.

Offline hornturner

Re: James Clark Pa gunsmiith
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:50:31 PM »
According to the book "Gunsmiths of Bedford, Fulton, Huntingdon, & Somerset Counties" by Whisker & Yantz; James Clark (1756-1841) was born in Lancaster County, PA and served as an artillery artificer during the Revolution.  He may have been employed in the making of cannons.  Later he worked at the Carlisle Barracks and then in what are now Fulton and Bedford Counties.  He was wanted as a tax delinquent in both counties.  He was fined $10 in 1822 for being convicted of a misdmeanor.  In 1829 he reappeared in Hopewell Twp. Bedford, Co.  He was also listed as a blacksmith in Morris Twp., Huntingdon, Co.  Died July 1, 1841 and was buried in the Williamsburg, PA Presbyterian Church yard.  Williamsburg would have been part of Huntingdon County until 1845, when Blair County was slpit off.
There is a photo of a Bedford style flintlock rifle on page 66 of the book referenced above.  In checking the book History of "Blair & Huntingdon Counties" by Africa, there are several references to "James Clark" and even "James Clarke" in various townships of both counties.  None reference anything about the gunsmith trade.  there were several Clarks in Morris and Warriors Mark Twps. but none listed as gunsmiths.  Due to the number of "James Clarks" it is possible some of the information listed is not about the same James Clark as the Bedford gunsmith, (just an observation).

There are still Clarks in Williamsburg, and when I have a chance, I'll see if the grave can be found.