Author Topic: Contact info for Jim Gordon  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Contact info for Jim Gordon
« on: September 13, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
Do any of you guys (or gals) have contact info. for Jim Gordon?  I would like to get a copy of his book & I also understand that he is kind enough to let mere mortals like me see his collection.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Herb

Re: Contact info for Jim Gordon
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 07:26:03 AM »
His phone number is (505) 982-9667.  His address is Jim Gordon, 808 Paseo de la Cuma, Sante Fe, NM 87501.  I did not ask him for an E-mail address.  He owns many of the firearms pictured in his three volume set of books.  He has a private museum and told me he opens it for viewing and handling, just phone him for an appointment.  Among other things, he owns the Mariano Modena Hawken rifle and said he makes it available for builders to examine.  Others have told me his a very personable person and easy to visit with.
Herb

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »
Thanks very much for the information.  I hope to get over that way this Fall.
I have mixed feelings about the Modena Hawken.  Its great that we can get our hands on the rifle, but it is such a part of Colorado history that I hate to see it away from there.
Roger
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Herb

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:41:56 AM »
Jim Gordon told me that when he was in Denver and the Modena rifle was in that state (?) museum, the owners wanted it back to sell.  He said he tried very hard to get the museum director to allow him to raise the money from subscriptions so the museum could buy it, but she did not want the rifle.  So he bought it himself.  He did his best to keep it in Denver, so do not feel that it is his fault it left Colorado.
Herb

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 05:13:46 AM »
He has brought the rifle to Denver for the Collectors show in May on at least one occasion.  I had a chance to look at it but they don't allow cameras in the show so could not take any photos.  It's an odd looking rifle, IMO.
Mike Lee

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:15:46 AM »
I'll also add that at least when I talked to him several years ago he owned a summer camp style resort near Bailey CO called, I think, Lazy Ours.  He said he spent considerable time there in the summer.  May have sold it though.
Mike Lee