Author Topic: John and Caleb Vincent.  (Read 17190 times)

nosrettap1958

John and Caleb Vincent.
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:06:59 PM »
Hello Gentlemen, I’m new to this board but have been shooting black powder for over 30 years now and would appreciate some historical information regarding an Ohio maker during the nineteenth century. I have a great custom built rifle purchased in 1989 from an Ohio maker who is sadly, long gone now, but who built rifles in the style of John and Caleb Vincent.  Would you have any historical knowledge of these builders?? Or any other resources that you could direct me toward such as books for this information?   

Offline Skychief

Re: John and Caleb Vincent.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »
Smokinbuck should be along shortly..........

rdillon

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 12:04:37 AM »
The Book
Accutrements Vol III has alot of their guns and some really good bio information.  Also you can call the Log Cabin Shop.  They have alot of info too! ;D

Offline Loudy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:04:47 AM »
The Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors has some great information about the Vincent gunsmiths on their website.  Hope this is helpful.   

http://www.aolrc.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/vol-ii-no-1-feb-1980.pdf

Mark Loudenslager

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 02:45:31 AM »
Mark,

Just visited their site.  That has to be the sweetest rendition of Ashokan Farewell I have ever heard!

http://www.aolrc.org/

Thanks
Laurie
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:51:26 AM by bluenoser »

Offline Loudy

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:12:54 AM »
Laurie,

Yes indeed!  I had muted my computer and missed the intro music.  Thanks for the heads-up.  A sweet soundin' fiddle and nice Ohio made longrifles seem to go well together. 

Thanks,
Mark

coutios

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 05:22:36 AM »
  Volume 5  of Ohio Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesmen is also loaded with info on the Vincents....  If your in Ohio and can make it to the Log Cabin they have a few fine Vincent rifles in their collection....

Regards
Dave

nosrettap1958

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »
Great stuff!!!
Thank You all.
I am planning another trip to Lodi Ohio since they have an excellant library of Vincett rifles!!! Plus, I need some powder! :)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:08:51 PM »
Treblig,
Everyone has directed you to the right place. If you need any more specific information let me know. Who was the builder that did the rifle that you have?
Mark
Mark

Offline b bogart

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 01:47:35 AM »
There is also plenty of them on display at Campus Martius (museum) in Marietta Ohio. In the same vein Marietta was almost the nation's capital. Lots of interesting info on  the Northwest Territory there too.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »
Treblig,
Unfortunatley the Ohio Historical Society has a collection of quite a few Vincents, as well as  a lot of tools from the Vincent gun shop, that have been in storage for MANY years. They sent the collection to our meeting in Marietta some time back and a few of us have gotten access to the storage location but for the most part they just collect dust in the warehouse.
Mark
Mark

taradactil

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 03:57:40 AM »
Hello! This is my first post, but must get started somewhere :)

A co-worker is planning to build a Vincent-style rifle for me. This will be my first and only rifle. The historical document about the Vincents is just too neat!

Does anyone know where I could find more info about the spinning wheels John Vincent made? A Google search didn't find anything other than the historical document.

Thanks!

coutios

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 04:07:53 AM »
taradactil, Welcome to the forum, as per my earlier post Volume 5 of Ohio G&AT..there are a couple of pages of text and photos on the spinning wheels..I'm sure others will have more info .....

Regards
Dave

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 09:44:40 PM »
Taradactil,
Dave is correct, there are some photos of the spinning wheels with a little information. I know of 2 that are owned by friends and are in working order. I'm sure that there are others around but I haven't seen them. Pretty rare stuff!
Mark
Mark

taradactil

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 06:17:05 AM »
Dave - thank you for the redirect!! Still gathering my bearings :)

Mark - that is cool his wheels are still turning (in a manner of speaking)! Handspinning is my other hobby, and I know that many old wheels (much less those that old) are usually pretty trashed out. I'm sure he would be happy to know they are still in use.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »
Hello! This is my first post, but must get started somewhere :)

A co-worker is planning to build a Vincent-style rifle for me. This will be my first and only rifle. The historical document about the Vincents is just too neat!

Does anyone know where I could find more info about the spinning wheels John Vincent made? A Google search didn't find anything other than the historical document.

Thanks!
Welkom::  'First and 'only' rifle????? Never happen! ;D

taradactil

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 08:16:23 AM »
Thanks :)   Heh...yeah I know how I am with hobbies/activities. I usually can't stop with just one!

nosrettap1958

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 06:07:11 AM »
Great information and thanks!
Mark, it is an unsigned custom with an incredible Green Mountain barrel.
I believe the guy who was selling it said Ed Mars but don't hold me to that!!
I'll try and post a few pics it's a real beauty!!

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 04:17:03 PM »
Treblig,
Don't know the "Mars" name but there are a number of builders out there that do a wonderful job on the Vincents. I have a couple of older Vincent kits, not built, available with georgous wood.
Mark
Mark

nosrettap1958

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 05:40:49 AM »
Mark,
I bought it in 1989 so I'm not real sure if he is still building muzzleloaders
because he was about the same age as Cecil Brooks.

taradactil, good luck on building that Vincent. And before you do go to Lodi, Ohio, if you can, they have a real nice library of Vincent rifles there.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:48:09 AM by treblig »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 02:42:32 AM »
Treblig,
I had the pleasure of knowing Cecil Brookes and visiting with him a number of times, quite a character. I have one of Cecil's underhammer chunk guns that he built in the early 60's that goes in the 40# range.
Mark
Mark

realtorone

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 10:08:16 PM »
If you ever get the opportunity to view a Don King Vincent he built quite a number of them but they hardly surface.There is a left handed he built for Peter Fonda on the internet.It was built in the 70's
Don built beautiful guns it's a shame he no longer builds.