Author Topic: Engraving layout stuff  (Read 7221 times)

Offline DutchGramps

Engraving layout stuff
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
Some time ago there was a thread about the stuff you can use to layout your pattern on the metal, like the "Layout White"of TOW. Did a search for alternatives but found nothing. What charitable soul can direct me to that thread ???
Hans
Real bikes are kick-started....

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Engraving layout stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:24:04 AM »
If you can find glass or film marking pencils (not grease pencils) you can draw directly on polished metal without any layout fluid.
Lynton McKenzie used a mixture of mutton tallow and beeswax he rubbed with his thumb to soften then tapped his thumb on the piece to transfer the mix then drew on that.
I have some of the TOW layout fluid and don't like it. I "paint" the surface with magic marker then draw on that with a soft pencil.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
    You can thin white latex paint with some water and rub it on with a finger.  You are looking for a thin dull grey  translucent covering, not a nice white cover which will chip.  The thin grey cover dries quickly and can be written on with a pencil.  If the design is simple lay out the master lines with a fine point sharpee, then come back and fill in the shading cuts with your graver. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:19:44 PM »
  I have had good luck with Laurel Mt Forges chinese white, but I thin it a tad. You can not only draw on it, but can also use an eraser.

Evil Monkey

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »
You can blot the surface with plastecene (modeling clay) and then draw on it with a pencil.

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:20:11 PM »
Thanks guys, I now take the precaution to store the info!
Hans ;D
Real bikes are kick-started....

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:44:51 AM »
Get a can of aerosol automotive primer......light gray.
Dust a fine coat of it onto your piece.
You can draw or transfer directly on to it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rick landes

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »
I second the fine point sharpie...I think this is one of the things Jerry would say J. Beck would have used if he'd of had it  :)
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 06:35:57 PM »
Chinese white watercolor in a tube or block works great and simply, once you know the technique.
For the block,  wet your finger (I wouldn't lick it since I don't know what's in the paint) and rub it on the block of paint, then smear it on the work piece as Lucky said previously.  You just want to dull the surface, not "paint" it.  This will dry in a minute or two and you can draw on it with a 0.5mm mechanical pencil with ease.  To erase use a wet finger and start over.
If you have the tube type paint, simply put a small dab on a wet paper towel sitting in a small dish or jar lid.  Again, wet your finger and dab it in the paint and proceed as before.

Jim Chambers can tell you about a more high-tech method with computers,, scanners, printers and transparencies, that can yield much better detail,  but he's still at Friendship at the moment.
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 06:51:24 PM »
Hello Hans!  I bought a container of powdered tempura paint.  I put a teaspoonful into a small brass tin and added water mixing until I had a smooth paste.  I let this dry thoroughly.  Then when I want to use it, I wet a fine soft paint brush and give the cake a little rub.  This I paint over the polished metal.  It dried to a thin film of white that will show a soft pencil line well.  Here's an example...

This example is a patchbox and rifle inspired by an obscure Lancaster maker.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:22:41 PM »
Thanks for asking that question, Gramps. I just received Lynton McKenzie's beginning engraving DVD and was wondering what  could be used for layout that could be erased without damaging the surface material. Or more importantly, used without obliterating the pencil lines as work progresses. I now have several options in the kids old water colors, white latex paint, and a dusting of light gray automotive primer, among others. Thanks for those ideas.

That is nice work, Taylor. Excellent work, but aren't all of the screw slots supposed to be aligned?  ;)