Author Topic: Curtis´s & Harvey´s powder can.  (Read 6288 times)

beleg2

Curtis´s & Harvey´s powder can.
« on: August 07, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »

Hi,
I’m looking for information about Curtis´s & Harvey´s.
I get an almost mint, complete Curtis´s & Harvey´s can.
Doing a search I find that Curtis´s & Harvey´s closed at 1932. Is it right?
What about the trade mark?
Most of the pictures I found on Internet show a different can. Is my can only for exporting?
How old is my can?
Thanks
Martin

Offline Feltwad

Re: Curtis´s & Harvey´s powder can.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »
The  company of Curtis and Harvey started in the mid Victorian reign and operated successful till the 1920,s By then they had taken over  all gunpowder making in the UK , they did make nitro powder {Smokeless Diamond] and also cartridges. In the 1920,s all companies making black and nitro powders  such as Nobel, Kynoch, and Curtis and Harvey merged to form the company Explosives Trades Ltd which later became ICI. Most of old trade names survived  and the last  production of Curtis and Harvey  black powder was  produced at Ardeer in Scotland this factory closed in the 1970,s, it then was produced in Germany  which also closed in the 1980,s.
Most of the Curtis and Harvey tins are red in colour.
 Your orange tin would have been and export tin and with the Hounslow address I would say from the late Victorian era

Feltwad

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:39:55 PM »
What does the label at  the bottom say??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

beleg2

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 12:01:17 AM »
It is written in Spanish and it says:

son falsificados los frascos que
alteran las razón social. Los legitimos
dicen CURTIS´S & HARVEY´S
rechacense las imitaciones.

A loose translation is:
Those flasks that have alteration of the society name, are fake. The ones that says CURTIS'S and HARVEY'S are legitimate. Reject imitations.

This flask was made for the South American market.
There were many fakes I have a flask of "La Poderosa" that is almost identical in shape and color.

Thanks for the info.
Martin

Offline whitebear

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:43:29 AM »
[ the last  production of Curtis and Harvey  black powder was  produced at Ardeer in Scotland this factory closed in the 1970,s, it then was produced in Germany  which also closed in the 1980,s.]
Feltwad
[/quote]

I am glad you made this clear for I bought my first can of black powder (Curtis and Harvey)  at a sporting goods store just south of Atlanta, Ga. in 1973.  It was a common rectangular shape, red with white label that was not squared on the can looked almost like it was put on as an after thought.  When reading this post I was wondering if my can was from the 1920's
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:25:19 PM »
Whitebear take a look at the image if your can is like the third one from the right then it was produced at the latter end of production 1970-80
Feltwad
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:32:56 PM by Feltwad »

Offline whitebear

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 04:20:06 AM »
Whitebear take a look at the image if your can is like the third one from the right then it was produced at the latter end of production 1970-80
Feltwad

This one was made like the modern GOEX cans but painted red with a paper lable wraped around it that was about 1/3 to1/2 the height of the can and the printing on the lable was not centered on the side of the can.  This was in 1973 or '74 and alas the can is long gone.

In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot