Author Topic: silhouette Shoot Aug 22nd  (Read 4329 times)

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
silhouette Shoot Aug 22nd
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:53:13 PM »
Hope it's ok to post this here.  If not, please move to the appropriate area.

On Sunday, August 22nd, the Colorado State Muzzle Loading Association (CSMLA) will put on the annual CSMLA Muzzle Loading Silhouette Shoot at the Golden Gun Club range at1503 South Watkins Road, Watkins, CO 80137 approximately three and one half miles south of the Watkins exit on Interstate 70.  Shooters will shoot metalic silhouettes of chickens at 50 meters, pigs at 100 meters, turkeys at 150 meters and rams at 200 meters.  This is a fun shoot and not a highly competitive event.  All shooters and all types of muzzle loaders are welcome.  There are shooter categories for men, women, juniors and sub juniors.  There will be rifles available for shooters who do not have a rifle, including guns sized to youngsters.  Spectators are welcome.  Practice shooting will start at approximately 7:30 AM.  The shoot will start at 9:00 AM.  No entry after 10:00 AM.  For complete information, go to http://www.csmla.org/events/2010-silhouette.pdf

We had a great time last year and anticipate the same this year.  We always need some help in setting up the steel, spotting and scoring.  Bring your spotting scopes and give us a hand.  We will commence set up at 7AM and practice until 8:45 AM.  Shoot starts at 9AM.

There will be no loading at the shooting benches.  All loading is from behind the line, so bring your loading stands etc.  We have some available at the club but it's nice to have your own.

Ladies and kids!!!!!  We did not have enough of you last year!  Come on out and enjoy this shoot with us.
Mike Lee

Daryl

Re: silhouette Shoot Aug 22nd
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:19:49 AM »
Now THAT's a Silhouette shoot - perfectly matches my sights.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »
If its not competitive its not a rifle match ;D

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
I like it.  Wish I could go but I have to decide whether or not to go to our State Shoot here in Nebraska or the Fall Camp Clark Raiders Rendezvous over Labor Day weekend in Bridgeport.

If I do the Colorado shoot - there goes my gas money for Labor Day.

However, I do wish you guys all the best! :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:05:31 PM by Candle Snuffer »

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:16:11 AM »
Ah, Dan!  You caught that, did you?

One thing I have found is that at any "shoot" or "match", the competitivness of any one shooter comes from within.  So, it is as competitive as any shooter happens to be and there are always highly competitive shooters who show up and revel in the competition.

OTOH, we have to deal with getting enough turn out to even make for a match.  Many casual shooters are afraid of competition and will not show up if they think it is a hard core shoot.  Getting turn out is a big problem in my area.  In 1983 there was a local shop that would put on a monthly ML match here in the Denver area.  In excess of 200 shooters showed up every month!  These days we have a hard time getting 100 shooters to the annual State Shoot!

So, I word it a bit deceptively.  Now, if you want to run on down here for the "shoot" on Sunday, I guarantee you will find yourself up against a few worthy competitors and I'm sure they will find you equally worthy!

Snuffer, I know what you mean, it's hard to get to everything and time and travel costs are a big consideration for most of us.  I'm sure you would not want to miss your state shoot.  Our state shoot was canceled this year due to fire danger and burned out half way through last years shoot by fire!

Daryl, I'm sure it is not practical for you to make it to the match, but with a bit better heads up next year, maybe you could send me your rifle and I'll shoot it for you!!
Mike Lee

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 06:34:07 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, Mike - but - fair warning - she does kick a bit - 140gr. is the new 'accuracy' load.  How many shots is it? ;)

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »
What caliber is that?  Could get a bit tiring!

We shoot a total of 40 shots; ten on rams, ten on turkeys, ten on pigs, ten on chickens.  The targets are standard BPCR sil animals.  In fact, the same ones the club uses for the BPCR matches.

We allow "any" position for turkeys and rams but do exclude bench shooting.  When you spot the rams the ball is clearly visible in the scope and a hit is obvious before the ball arriives.  Rams rarely fall, even with a .54.  Depends on where the ball hits it.  That's why we have spotters so as to call a hit or miss on the rams.  It's ok to bounce the ball off a berm, the ground, etc., as long as it hits the animal.  And, it must hit the animal the shooter is told to shoot at.

We see everything from .40 cal smoothbores to .58 cal muskets.  Funny thing is, we have a slug category but so far all shooters have chose round ball.
Mike Lee

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 06:11:43 PM »
Mike - 480gr. pure lead ball - I do have a couple slug moulds for it though, if you prefer. The lightest is 560gr. and the heaviest is 1,200gr.  havent tried the issue minnie yet- it's 730gr.  Yeah - it's a .69. To more than 500 yards, the round ball is flattest shooting BTW, according to the computer generated drop figure program.  The slug in this bore size never catches up in trajectory.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »
I think that would knock the rams down every time!!!<g>
Mike Lee

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 11:38:17 PM »
About any hit, too.