Author Topic: Fiebings Dyeing Questions...  (Read 3101 times)

RoaringBull

Fiebings Dyeing Questions...
« on: August 19, 2010, 12:11:16 AM »
ok, been doing a little experimentation with the tan and medium brown institutional dyes on veg tan...and got mixed results so I wanted to ask the experts.

I tried using a small sponge to apply the dye to a sample piece and got a lot of streaking, like where the first pass and the second pass overlapped it was darker, with both colors...so I dipped a piece into the bottle and it came out really nice. So, I mixed 5 teaspoons in 2 cups of water and soaked a piece for a few hours...nice even light/med brown...is this the best method, just mix a little in water and soaking the pieces before assembling the bag?  Or how about soaking the entire bag after assembly?

Once again, any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
David

Trkdriver99

Re: Fiebings Dyeing Questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 12:26:38 AM »
I get the streaks but they go away after drying. I like the tan dye. I got good results with it using a small brush.

Ronnie

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 12:39:25 AM »
 On large pieces I use a 4" foam brush. One direction then the other, let it dry and repeat. I do not use water base dyes, oil only, water bleeds to much.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:44:49 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 02:06:48 AM »
Dip dying is my favorite but otherwise the foam brushes or a sponge wrapped in cloth work very well - with most any leather dye I slop it on and then wipe off the excess with a sponge then wring out the sponge to save the dye. When dip dying I hang the piece over a container to catch the oil that drips off.
As for thinning Fiebings or any other spirit based dye - plain old rubbing alcohol works for me. Also if you dampen your leather first with the alcohol or water - I use a cheap spray bottle and spritz the surface real good - will open the pores and you will get better penetration. I like the alcohol since it also allows you to deglaze the surface before dying....
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 04:18:12 AM »
I've had good results with an air brush  :o
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'