Author Topic: Stitchin' Horse  (Read 3867 times)

JohnnyM

Stitchin' Horse
« on: August 20, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
Hi,
I know there's some folks here that can help me with my new (old) stitchin' horse.  Well, that's what I call it for lack of the proper term.
I'd like to use this for sewin' bags and such just need some input.

I'm assuming there must be some sort of strap that attaches to the clam and the foot lever that then locks the tension in place with the metal "teeth"?

It looks like it had a padded seat at one time probably made of leather (doh!)

I like the awl marks on the "lips" of the clam and the fact that it looks like the contraption was made from three different kinds of wood. The clam itself from a fine grain wood like maple and the legs from a more open grain like maybe chestnut? and the seat from, perhaps, oak.

Any input, comments, suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Johnny

Offline blackdave

• Starting Member
  • Young at Heart - My wife says "immature"
Re: Stitchin' Horse
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 05:41:15 PM »
That is a dandy horse!  You are correct in that there is a strap the goes through the clam and connects on the far side.  I have a buckle for adjustment on mine that allows for varying thicknesses of material.  All you lack to get going is the strap - I like to hook mine up so that it catches on the second to the bottom hook with the foot press.  You will find this to be a very handy item!

Your humble servant,

Black Dave
" If a man wants to carry a cat home by the tail, I say let him! He's going to be getting several times as much information as the man who hasn't tried it. And it isn't likely to ever become dim or doubtful, either! It isn't always easy to be eccentric, you know."   Mark Twain

Offline Artificer

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:04:18 PM »
Wow, that is a huge clam on that stitching horse.  No doubt that was made for a saddler/commercial leather worker.

It also looks like you may be able to move the clam to different positions?  That could come in real handy.

As to being made from different kinds of wood, that made sense when it was made as it still does today.  They used the best or most available woods that had the correct strength and size for each part.

Neat horse.

Gus

JohnnyM

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:00:40 AM »
Thanks for your input.  Yes, the clam does move.  There's a removable wood wedge that locks it in the mortise but it is rectangular so I can only move it 180 degrees.

Offline Joey R

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »
That horse is almost exactly like mine. I also needed a cinch strap for mine and I asked a Amish harness maker friend make me a good heavy one and it works great. Enjoy this horse for it is a great tool.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

BlackleafHats

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 07:00:15 AM »
I'm Jealous!