Author Topic: Boiling a barrel, another question  (Read 2610 times)

billd

Boiling a barrel, another question
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:06:08 AM »
I didn't want to hijack Rich's thread.   Maybe a stupid question but here it goes.  When you boil the barrel it has to be plugged, correct?  Will the heat expand the air in the barrel and blow the plug out?

Bill

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Boiling a barrel, another question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:13:14 AM »
Bill,
I have boiled quite a few barrels over the years and have never had a plug come out.  I have tooth picked the vent when it was present and drove in a tapered wooden plug in the muzzle.  I then used a coat of epoxy around the outer diameter of the tooth pick or plug to seal it.  Never had a problem.
DMR

keweenaw

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »
There is no need to plug a barrel what so ever.  When you take it out of the tank, pour out the water and wipe immediately.  The whole thing dries instantly inside and out.  Any discoloration in the barrel with come off with about two swipes of some JB on a tight patch. I've done dozens this way, rifles and shotguns with no rusting of the bore.

If you plug the plugs need to be perfectly sealed or you can get some water in the bore that will stay in there for the entire rusting/boiling routine. 

Tom

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »
There is no need to plug a barrel what so ever.
Tom is correct.  The only time that barrels need to be plugged is if you are using a multi-tank system which incorporates any caustic chemicals.

However, the plugs do form convenient handles so you never have to actually touch the metal with your hands during the process.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson