Author Topic: Trigger Guard Inlet  (Read 9657 times)

Offline frogwalking

Trigger Guard Inlet
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »
Just starting to inlet the trigger guard into a Virginia style fowler.  Walnut stock.  Kit.  The forward part of the guard has a beautiful flaming urn finial, with a reinforced attachment to the rest of the guard (a little thicker  here)  Inletting this into the foreend, I found the ramrod hole.  It appears if I inlet the Trigger guard in the normal manner I will cut into the ramrod hole.  What do I do at this point?

Thanks.

Frog
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Trigger Guard Inlet
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:50:33 PM »
Sounds like you have minimum wood over the RR hole to start with.

How thick is this reinforced part of the extension ? Can you file a lenghtwise groove in it to allow the RR to slide in fully ? That what I would look at.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 11:53:29 PM »
What Tom said.....  and taper the end of the ramrod.  Between the 2 maybe you can get enough clearance.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:00:40 AM »
You are using the tab on the top, front of the trigger bow and not the one on top of the front finial right?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:27:06 AM »
The ramrod can often run into or stop against the front lug of the guard.  I file the lug etc to a minimal fore and aft dimension for good pinning etc.

If the front extension of the guard is revealing the ramrod hole as you inlet it, then you'd have to be pretty judicious and thin it down a lot, and let the sides of the inlet support the front extension.
Andover, Vermont

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:30:42 AM »
  I would move the lug, if that would work.

northmn

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:47:01 AM »
Iaahve run into that problem and have one like that now in my smooth rifle.  The ramrod rests qagainst the trigger guard finial.  Taper the ramrod.  Originals generally had very pronounced tapers on the ramrods.  The lug should be placed like Roger stated.

DP

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 02:02:16 AM »
Thanks folks.  The lock bolts went in fine with  no interference from the ramrod hole so I cannot complain about it now.  I think I will inlet the front only about 1/16 inch and as suggested, increase the degree of ramrod taper somewhat.  It really won't matter if the ramrod hole is visible when the guard is removed.  The front attachment lug is behind the end of the ramrod hole so is not a problem at all. 

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 02:51:41 AM »
Most of the finials that I have seen on fowlers stood a little proud of the wood anyhow. They don't seem to go in as deep as those on  rifle. You might be fine as is. Perhaps file a slight groove down the middle to make sure the rod doesn't snag on a corner.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:38:42 PM »
So far, I have worked on this trigger guard finial longer than it took to clean up the lock inlet and have it in place.  I have the finial inlet about 1/16 inch and need a little additional on the part near and at the trigger plate.  I ground the corner of trigger plate with my moto-tool to provide clearance for the guard.  It is going to work ok. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »
Most of the finials that I have seen on fowlers stood a little proud of the wood anyhow. They don't seem to go in as deep as those on  rifle. You might be fine as is. Perhaps file a slight groove down the middle to make sure the rod doesn't snag on a corner.
Not on originals. Fowling gun trigger guards are inlet just like anything else. It is not at all unusual to break into the ram rod channel on a properly skinny fowling gun. These guns are supposed to be SLIM. Taper your rod, most of the original English fowling guns I have seen had rods less than or right at 1/4" on the little end.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 07:42:06 PM »
an English gun, typical fowler guard.

Same gun. The finial has sprung a bit from its inlet, but you can see that it shouldn't stick out of the wood too much.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 08:41:54 PM »
That Pickfat  gun has shrunk quite a bit in the past couple hundred years. The trigger guard was originally  inlet to the proper depth, which is what I believe Tom is trying to point out. ;)
 I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the ram rod hole visible under that guard if it were taken off.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 10:30:48 PM »
I didn't have the guard off, but I would assume the RR hole would be visible. And so what if it does break thru? Not a problem. Only if the wood gets paper thin in the grip area will there be an issue.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 03:30:10 AM »
OK,  I have it inletted about as deep as I dare.  It is cut into the ramrod channel but still allows a 5/16 ramrod to enter freely. 

Can I knock the horns down a little?  I would love to be able to bend them downward without damaging it too much.  This guard came from Chambers and is really nice.  I don't want to damage it but it would fit better if the horns lay down some.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 03:38:30 AM »
Is it brass or steel.  If brass its easy... If steel, be very careful and bend it hot... Ask me how may broken steel guards I own......no don't!! ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:38:58 AM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 01:18:56 PM »
Can I knock the horns down a little?  I would love to be able to bend them downward without damaging it too much.
All original English trigger guards of that style were curved on the bottom to conform to the curve of the stock in that area, none of them were flat. I always put some curve in  mine.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 05:18:42 AM »
Thanks Mike,

Most of the contemporary fowlers I have seen and photographed were made by your hand.  The forearm has a very considerable curve in that area and a little curve in the tg would help immensely.  I will anneal this segment of the guard and try to curve it  using a wood form and dowel rod (hammer or vice too) 

I bent the front tennon a smidgeon and now the whole tg lines up much better. It wanted to cant to one side before.  The cast-off made into the stock caused some initial confusion in alignment before I remembered it was there. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 05:50:03 AM »
I tap mine into a swage block to form my radius. Your approach should work also.