Author Topic: Rust on barrel.  (Read 2290 times)

Offline patchbox

• Starting Member
Rust on barrel.
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:06:32 AM »
I applied and blushed the Aqua Fortis on my stock being careful not to get any in the barrel chanel, lock mortise, or any other areas that will touch metal. I then temporarily replaced the barrel into the stock and set it aside while I had to be gone over the week end. When I returned several days later I found a line of rust about 1/8"wide along both sides of the barrel and along the edge on both sides of the tang. Although I had been very careful not to get any in areas that would touch metal,a very small amount must have gotten in there. Today I gave the stock the first coat of Permalyn sealer and made sure it got into all of the areas that will touch metal. My question is will the sealer be adequate to protect the metal from rust if I give it several coats ?
                                           Thanks for any information you can give me.................Chuck.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Rust on barrel.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »
Chuck,

I've not used Permalyn so can't say if it will seal sufficiently, but I have a question.  Did you neutralize the AF after you blushed it?  If no, that could be the cause of the rust.  AF will penetrate a good ways into the wood.  Along the thin forestock, maybe all the way thru?  Hope your sealer seals.  Good luck.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

ken

Re: Rust on barrel.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 01:58:14 AM »
Once you put aquafortis on a stock, you have to neutralize it or it will turn the stock black over time. This is normally done with baking soda and water, which also neutralizes the acid which is what caused the rust. Good luck.