Author Topic: Your thoughts about the RE Davis Late English" Flintlock?  (Read 20352 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Your thoughts about the RE Davis Late English" Flintlock?
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »
This is the right time period.....but does this lock function well?  Anything close to a small siler or late Ketland from Chambers??  I like the style, but I have no experience with Davis locks..... I am sure it meets some standard of function or it wouldn't stay on the market. I just don't want to trade off too much substance for style.

http://www.redaviscompany.com/0269.html

Your experience??
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:25:50 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Simon

Re: Your thoughts about the RE Davis Late English" Flintlock?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »
I have one that Davis calls a late Ketland, it has a square tail.  It is as well tuned as any lock that I have tried although I will have to say that I have not had that many, probably a half dozen.
 One feature that I like is the  speed that the frizzen kicks over.  It sparks very well with both  black english and Riches Flints.  I will buy another if I need that style.

Mel
Mel Kidd

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
I've used this and several other Davis locks and never been disappointed.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
Tim, I've used this lock on two rifles.  It serves well.  I think its best feature apart from its styling for a particular style of rifle, is its very quick action.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:07:13 PM »
I have used one Davis lock, and was impressed.  It worked extremely well, sparking magnificently. I would buy another without hesitation.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
I have two Davis locks, a jaeger and an 1803 Harpers Ferry.  They both are fast and spark really well.  The only problem I've had is with the jaeger.  The tip of the sear broke so would not stay on full cock.  Davis replaces defective parts though if you send them in.
Curt

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:01:22 PM »
RE Davis really stands behind their stuff.  When at Dixon's last year, I spoke with their rep and told them I was disappointed with the mainspring in my Twigg lock...not enough ooompf.  He let me handle several examples he had on hand, and GAVE me the mainspring out of his display sample.  Now the lock works very well.
The frizzen on one of these Late Ketland locks broke clean through at the bend.  they replace it without question, and with explicit instructions on hardening and tempering.  No problems since.
I have their jaeger lock on my hunting rifle and have done some tuning to move the flint a little higher off the pan.  I would trust my life to it's flawless ignition.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 11:25:19 PM »
I've got a jaeger on my smoothbore that has functioned flawlessly for over 20 years.  The pivot hole in the frizzen has finally worn oblong and it drags on the barrel.  It's the only problem I've ever had with it.

I think quality has improved tremendously since the new owners took over.  If you want a real testament to their quality, Bob Roller uses their parts to build some of his locks with.  I use his modified Alex Henry lock on most of the English rifles I build, but they are great just as they come from Davis.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline elk killer

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 03:07:26 AM »
i have used many of their locks..
only had one Beckys lock that woulnt spark
send it back to them,,and works perfect now,
they are always nice to work with
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »
Yep, Davis does a good job. I would not hesitate to use their Late English, or 'John Bailes', designs. Very fast and good sparkers.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »
Tom, I know L & R makes the "John Bailes" lock, but I don't believe Davis does.  It is my understanding that the Bailes lock is actually patterned from a Staudenmayer lock, not a Bailes.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 08:40:52 PM »
The Davis lock in the picture is what they call a "late English" lock. Is it a copy of one of the well known orginals??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 09:23:02 PM »
This lock was probably patterned after or intended to compete directly with one of the great originals by another lock-making company. ;D.  Doesn't make it a bad thing.  I think the full-on waterproof pan can be a little over the top for some American guns unless they were high end and had English influence.  We got used to seeing this style (the L&R lock) on flint Hawken contemporary rifles and etc. in the 1980's. I am not sure how much export of this style of lock was done.  Certainly the trade rifles of the period were often using cheaper made English locks.  If this lock had a more conventional or earlier pan/fence arrangement I'd like it better for a Southern mountain rifle for example.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:26:01 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »
Here's another similar lock by Danny Caywood.  I saw this lock on a rifle by Ken Guy and fell in love with it.  I bought one, and intend to use it on a Western PA rifle ala T. Allison.  The lock is wonderfully made and a $#*! of a sparker.  The action is quick without any jarring.  Danny describes it as "a hardware lock".
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:36:20 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline bgf

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 10:17:57 PM »
That pan is not too different from the one on the latest Jacob Young rifle at CLA to my eye.  I like this Davis lock's looks -- never seen it function -- and was thinking about asking a similar question sometime.  The best thing about it is that it is not a large Siler, which may also be the worst thing about it:).  My ignorant opinion is that I would rather see these style locks (e.g., this one, and even the Mantons) on Southern mountain rifles than Germanic style locks, and any well-functioning alternative is a plus.  The later Ketland lock from Chambers looks like another good alternative, but I think it may be too early in style for many southern mountain rifles as they are generally built.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 10:36:25 PM »
There were Swiss gunmaker's at Tobler's Fort, SC across the riiver from Augusta GA sometime after 1737 or 1738 and before 1760.  Likely there were other's fairly well established in the vicinity and supplied from Charleston or even Savannah directly.  Charleston was (and still is  ;D) a very English town. It also was a wealthy area. There were also some of the first Scots-Irish settlements near there for example at Long Cane, SC.

So my story is that sometime between 1815 and 1820 one of those gunmakers in W. SC or eastern GA built a simple maple fowling piece (Turkey gun) with 46 " imported .62 barrel  and a  nice 1815 lock and two thimbles. It will have a bit of a Southern flare, but will not be a full appalachian rifle..... smoothbore of course as it was carried by a settler(farmer) who had recieved a land grant in wht is now Laurens county GA.....

So I am trying to decide between the Chambers Late Ketland, theis Davis Lock or the Caywood.  I have a Caywood Wilson trade lock on another turkey gun and it is a fantastic lock.  But I want this 1815 style lock for this gun...I think.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline bgf

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »
The lock on the Richard Allen rifle (1815, I think -- at least close in time and place) is a closer match to the Chambers late Ketland, at least that's the way it looks to me.  I guess you aren't considering any L&R's?  I also really like the Durs Egg in looks (and a similar design could be used much later in the colonies than in England), but the feedback on them is not overwhelmingly positive.  Don't put too much weight in my opinion, as I'm just interested in the topic, not well-versed or experienced.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 12:38:20 AM »
I have 1 davis lock on a hawken .54 it seems to be a very high quality lock so i would not have any problem whatsoever with going with davis if they have the style that i need at the time.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 01:30:06 AM »
I have a L&R Durs Egg that I made from a kit in 1978 and it's been a wonderful lock.  The design is mostly very good, though I have not bought a current one and assembly is as critical as design.   It's a goof 1780's and 1790's lock and Tim would probably have to propose it had been repurposed to use it on an 1815 gun. Sounds like a great project, by the way.  Be interested to see what furniture will be used.  You could go with a pineapple-finialed steel guard by that date.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »
I have a Davis Late Ketland on my Gillespie rifle. It performs and sparks well.
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 11:02:42 PM »
[I want this 1815 style lock for this gun...I think.

FWIW -
the Henry gunmaking firm of Boulton, PA advertised that in 1818, his firm received a shipment from Liverpool, England, that included dozens of "swivel, single roller, double roller, and skeleton pan  (aka waterproof) locks."
This is but one primary reference I have regarding waterproof pans on American made guns in the post 1810 period. There's also a primary reference to a Southern made rifle using a high quality waterproof pan circa 1815 - it's listed in the Plains Rifle by C Hanson. Maker Philip Creamer, who made guns in Maryladn and later in the midwest also frequently used waterproof pan locks - some info implied that he made them.

IMO either a waterproof pan style or a late Ketland style
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:14:31 AM by ChuckBurrows »
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 03:52:51 AM »
I am leaning toward the waterproof pan design for looks. Think I will call  Mike Rowe Monday and discuss it.  They certainly are proud of their locks..about $40.00 more than a Chambers or Davis locks.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA