Author Topic: Another Lehigh Q  (Read 2508 times)

Goldhunter

Another Lehigh Q
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:53:21 AM »
So, I've looked at all the Lehigh pics I can find on the net and books.  I don't live anywhere near any museums that contain these pieces.  Most of the pics don't show much detail of the forestock.   

So my question:  Do Lehigh type rifles have incised forestock molding?  Or is it predominantly raised carving like other PA molding?  I've noticed that lehigh type carving seems to be predominently incised so my thinking is that the forestock molding may be the same?  Thoughts?  ;D

Offline Dave B

Re: Another Lehigh Q
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:49:11 AM »
I have seen a few originals and if they had carving on the forestock it was of the incise style. All of them had the distictive "V" shaped flats to the ramrod groove forend shape. There isn't a lot of room for much else on them. I got to hold a very nice Schuler from Bucks Co. at the Washington Historical Arms Makers Guild show.  It had very nice incise lines carved on the fore stock, the entry pipe and barrel tang. It almost looked like there could have been some wire in the bottom of the grooves at the tange but I didnt have any magnification to verify this.
Dave Blaisdell

Goldhunter

Re: Another Lehigh Q
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
I've got the v shaped forearm and agree that there isn't much room for much carving.