Author Topic: Will this bandsaw suffice for building rifles  (Read 7530 times)

eagle24

Will this bandsaw suffice for building rifles
« on: March 05, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »
I've got to have a bandsaw, just no way to put it off any longer.  I've been engaging in some dangerous methods of cutting down stock blanks and finally got the wake-up I need to part with at least enough cash to get me by for awhile. Nuff said!  Will this get me by for a few years of building a couple of rifles a year?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1-HP-Bandsaw-Polar-Bear-Series/G0555P

fastfrankie

Re: Will this bandsaw suffice for building rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
That one should do nicely .Just remember to set everything up correctly. There are several books out there to show you what and not what to do.

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:43:21 PM »
Most importantly, keep appendages away from blade :D
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

California Kid

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »
That saw should work fine. I would get Timber Wolf blades for it though they are great. I'm using a 12" Craftsman saw I got  for $250 on sale a few years ago. For slabbing blanks I'm using a 1/2" Timber Wolf blade, 6TPI and it works real good. My saw has a 3/4 horse motor and has worked fine on 3" hard maple, so you should be great with 1 HP

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »
Good looking saw...much ahead of my first one.  You'll love the bearing/guides.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 01:57:01 AM »
Greg, I may have a deal for you.  I have a Sears 14" saw that I may be willing to part with for $400.  It may have less than 1/2 hour of run time, it 's that new.  I just get precarves from Dave Keck now.  I've had it for three years and not used it.I may be able to deliver it in the next two weeks.  How far are you from I-75.  I'm going to play snow bird and head to Florida Keys then come back to Tennessee for the Sgt. York shoot.  Give me a PM, with a Phone Number if interested.  That patch box is fantastic, and I need to talk to you about a brass lockplate for the Lehigh  those other parts go to.  Dennis forgive me, but the less $#@* we buy from the Chinese the better.(political comment)

Bill
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 02:00:32 AM by Bill of the 45th »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 02:49:05 AM »
   I have a Grizzly Ultimate 14", and I have been using it in full time building for the last 10 years.  Keep them set up correctly and good sharp blades (I prefer carbide tipped) and you should have not problems or regrets.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 03:02:08 AM »
That's exactly the saw I have at home. Well, mine's green. I've got a 24" Laguna at the shop, and I actually like the Griz better. Gotta have the big one for resawing veneers though, so need the capacity to rip up hardwoods that may be 18" wide. And if starting fresh, I'd buy a big Grizzly.

$500 in your door is a great price, IMHO.

Set up is critical with any bandsaw, and check it often. Use sharp blades, and carbide if you can afford them. For your use, one will probably last you years--unless you break it. I un-tension the blade every time I shut the machine off (after it runs down, of course).

Look on-line. You'll find lots of info on good set up.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 03:29:02 AM »
If you get the Grizzly, order the optional riser block kit with it.  It increases your cutting height from 6" to 12".  Believe me, it will come in handy down the road when you're trying to slab out a log or straighten one cut out with a chain saw.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 04:11:44 AM »
If you get the riser blocks, do you have to buy custom blades?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rickw

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 06:14:23 AM »
If you get the bandsaw, you should get a new blade for it right away. Get a good quality blade like Lenox or Timber Wolf. Timber Wolf blades are amazingly sharp, and cut MUCH better than any blade that will be on the bandsaw when you buy it.
Rick W

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Will this band saw suffice for building rifles
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
I would move up to the 1.5 hp model G0555X, you can saw small logs with that baby.

Mine is a 1.5 horse, they have boosted the power on the same model to 2 hp since I bought mine.

Find a saw shop in your area that makes blades. I have one locally that makes the equivalent of a Wood Slicer for about $10 a blade.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 06:04:15 PM »
If you get the riser blocks, do you have to buy custom blades?
Not custom, just longer and they are available.  The kit comes with one blade.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Kermit

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 09:19:25 PM »
Absolutely get the riser kit. I didn't because I have access to a bigger saw. If you think power is an issue, and you are in a hurry, you might want to spend more to get the 2hp. I can stall a 2hp saw, and so can you. Just use your head. I regularly cut 3 to 4" thick maple--and harder--with mine. And yes, Timber Wolf blades are to be recommended.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Meteorman

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:20:03 PM »
that's the very saw I have, and have had no problems yet. 
Ditto on what the others have said about blades tho' - you'll want a better one than the Griz standard.
And when you go to lifting that head unit out of the box and onto the base, get your strong neighbor to help, keep your feet clear,  and have the ibuprofen ready. ;D
/MM