Author Topic: Bethlehem School  (Read 20048 times)

Offline A.Merrill

Re: Bethlehem School
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »
    Some fine rifles Nate.  Really like the color of the one on the tree. What kind of stain is that?    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
Cabin Creek Muzzleloading offers a Lehigh/schimmel on par with all the better made kits .  A .54 make a nice handling gun.

http://cabincreek.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=13
I had one of those in my shop last year, very good looking kit.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 03:38:22 PM »
To inject a little into my own gun building history, I make a lot of comments about those Lehigh County guns......pretty to
look at but difficult to shoot and build.   Would you believe, the first gun I ever built was a copy of a Herman Rupp, 7/8"
straight 45 cal. Douglas barrel, Hadaway lock.   I still have it, actually shot it a lot, and actually shot it pretty well.   It is
even relief carved.....how's that for a starter.   I built this gun without the help of any gunbuilding books, under the
eye of my brother who started to build guns back in 40's.   I'll have to start bringing it along to shows for my first gun........................Don

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »
Are you going to Lodi this weekend?  I am bringing Frankenstien.  I am calling it a Jaegertoon ;D

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »
Rich:
Make sure to bring that Jagertoon by the student table tomorrow, I think I want to see it.
BillP

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 09:44:04 PM »
No matter what you decide to build next, it will be important to get some hands-on, in the room guidance from an experienced builder.  The finest precarved, pre-inletted kit still requires considerable skills and the right tools, expertly sharpened, etc. From here we cannot tell how your chisels are cutting, whether you're using a rasp the right way, whether the motions you use to shape a stock are optimal for achieving the desired result.  Hands on, pointing, demonstrating, watching, correcting guidance can get anyone to a higher level much faster than advice online.

It doesn't matter how much you spend, a fine kit is no guarantee.  Enough wood is purposely left to make for a clubby gun if the builder does not understand shaping and architecture.  I often see lock panels on a kit assembled by an inexperienced maker left exactly as they came from the supplier, for example, when it is clear the precarve lock panels were left oversize deliberately to allow the maker to vary the lock panels considerably.  But the supplier never intended the panel be left as supplied.  So a fine kit still requires a good eye and a design plan.  It's a big mistake to think someone can learn to build longrifles exclusively with online advice and books and DVDs as their instructors.  Yes, a functional gun can be made that way.  Even when a plain approach is taken (no carving, no engraving, maybe even no moldings) the same $800 plus kit can be turned into a $350 rifle or a $1800 rifle depending on how it is made.  Every builder gets better with time and experience.  Most of the time that experience is seasoned with some measure of failure and disappointment resulting from going ahead without hands-on instruction and feedback, and not honing skills till they are excellent before diving in.

Folks know they cannot play a saxophone w/o practicing and without a teacher.  The same is true of building a longrifle.  The fella who picks up the sax can make sounds but not music in the beginning.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:17:46 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2010, 12:50:13 AM »
Lurch......won't be in Lodi this weekend, but will be at the new show in Greensburg, Pa. next week-end, show is called
"Fine Folk Art & Arms of Colonial Pa.".....friday and saturday, Oct. 15 & 16, held at the Sheraton, approximately 3 miles
east on Rt. 30.   Call John LaBella at 724-757-5975.............Don

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2010, 02:59:54 AM »
Lurch, Visit my table at Greensburg. You can handle and shoulder any and all that I have there. Please introduce your self.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 03:30:10 AM »
Greensburg is out of the Question for me, Unless an act of God Interviens.  Hopefuly will get a little hands on tomorrow with Jim Kibler.  Would've like to see you all again and meet those whom I haven't met.

Bright Eyes  and I will also be attending a Horn building seminar with Tim Crosby.  This hopefully will be a great weekend for all.  I won't be back on-line till Sundayevening and will Have pics to share..

Take care,  God Bless,

Rich

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 02:19:48 AM »
I got to shoulder many A fine rifle in Ohio.  I love the Bethlehem style, but I dosen't feel right to me.  Now a Viginia or Tennessee Now we're talkin. So long Bethlehem

Rich

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 04:51:43 AM »
Nate, what are the details on the Greensburg event?
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 02:36:24 AM »
Hank- Fine Folk Art and Arms Show- Sheraton Four Points Greensburg, 100 Sheraton Drive, Greensburg, Pa. 15601.  Fri. Oct 15- 9:00AM till 8:00 PM. and Sat. Oct 16- 9:00AM till 3:00PM.

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 03:04:14 AM »
Thanks Nate, if everything works out, I think I might make a run out there.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell