Author Topic: Fred Bowen, engraver....  (Read 7676 times)

TomK

Fred Bowen, engraver....
« on: November 15, 2009, 02:54:19 AM »
I've tired the search function and google but cannot find anything about Fred and flintlocks. I have a rifle obtained though an estate and they think it my have been built by Mr. Bowen. Anyone have contact info or a lead?
Thanks!

Offline Don Getz

Re: Fred Bowen, engraver....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 05:16:53 AM »
Tom.......when I saw your inquiry about Fred Bowen I went on a hunt for his business card, couldn't find it.   Willl check over at the barrel shop on monday to see if John has a phone number.   Fred is a fabulous engraver, but relatively unknown.  He used to spend a lot of time in our booth at friendship.   We have a copy of an english Ketland blunderbuss
barrel, which we copied for an original that Kit Ravenshear owned.   Bruce LePage engraved it to represent our barrel
number "20,000",  with a rather flambuoyant engraving pattern.   Several years ago I made a 1/3 scale copy of this barrel
and Fred Bowen bought it, then copied the engraving ...scaled down....from our barrel, as I said before, a fantastic engraver.............Don

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 06:18:28 AM »
I've met Fred and he's an excellent engraver.  He engraves everything, capboxes barrels etc.   I couldn't find his card either.   But you can contact him through the web site called THE ENGRAVERS CAFE, look under the Members section under F for Fred.  Good luck

Offline M. Wheland

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:58:55 AM »
The phone # on Fred's business card is 847-265-8316
email- stagargent@yahoo.com

Mark

TomK

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »
Many Thanks, Gentlemen!
I found what I was looking for on the rifle itself: I removed the lock, to see if I could clean it up a bit, and side plate, just to check out the inletting, which is perfect. Lo and behold, under the plate is stamped "F. Bowen  RO1  580" ! Maybe meaning his 580th rifle or maybe a May 1980 build. I'll email him. Thanks Again!

TomK

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »
I found him!!  Thanks M. Wehland!!
Fred wrote that it was indeed his first build rifle, in May of 1980.
I feel great,  to find him and let him know about his first rifle......................

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 06:09:18 AM »
This is an old thread, but Fred Bowen is my cousin.  He can be reached at P.O. Box 1199, Lake Villa, IL 60046.  His email address is stagargent@yahoo.com.  He also plays a mean 12-string guitar.

Curt
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:27:07 PM by Curt Larsen »

Offline steg49

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 06:58:24 AM »
Curt, thanks for the information on the email address of Fred.  This rilfe is now in my hands.  thanks steg49

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »
Is this the Bowen who makes the .50 Cal. Bowen conversions on Ruger handguns?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:59:32 PM by Daryl »

g.pennell

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:25:29 PM »
I think the handgun Bowen is Hamilton Bowen.  He does some incredible things with revolvers!

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/CustomRevolver.htm

Greg

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »
Yes- Hamilton - thanks Greg. Sounds as if Fred does equally well in his own forte`.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 04:52:32 AM »
The last I heard, Fred was commissioned by Colt to do some custom engraving.  I'm going back to Illinois next month and I'll check in with him.  Check out some of Ted Cash's pill boxes engraved by Fred.  It is hard for me to believe that the boxes sell for what they do with his engraving.  I can't imagine that he gets much for his work.   

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 01:42:45 AM »
Spent an aftenoon with my cousin Fred Bowen last week.  If you liked his build number 1 you should see build number 2.  We haven't seen each other for some time and this was the first time I saw all of the several longrifles he has built since 1980.  I am really impressed!  Now to his engraving.  Holy smoke, his detail work is really top rate.  I am the older cousin, but my younger cousin out does me by a long shot.  Fred is a member of CLA and was at the last meeting.  I've encouraged him to join our group here on ALR.  He has a lot to contribute to us.   Sorry, just a plug for someone I grew up with.

Curt