Author Topic: Dale Johnson lock  (Read 3235 times)

Offline blackdog

Dale Johnson lock
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
Anybody have any insight on this lock from Chambers?  Any better choice than their golden age for a early lancaster?
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Dale Johnson lock
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »
These are excellent locks and would be appropriate for an early Lancaster or other pre-1780 style gun.  I have one on my bench and it is really fine, right out of the box.  It uses Siler internals and if I am correct, mine was assembled by LC Rice for the Chambers' and fit and function are excellent.  I got the one with the Chambers deluxe Golden Age cock and frizzen; just a personal preference; you can get them with the regular Siler cock if you prefer.

Mike Miller uses a lot of them on his rifles and reshapes the pans, bridles and frizzens, etc.  Very versatile lock and the curved profile to the bottom of the plate, and slight droop to the tail, give it nice lines.

Guy

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »
Presently building an early Lancaster w/ a Dale Johnson and the bottom curvature and "tail" position surely  yields a nice wrist transition. On the minus side...didn't really know what to do w/  the lousy  lockplate "chamfer" so filed a chamfer similar to that on the Siler. Sure does go well w/ this early Lancaster which has all Chamber's components except  it's from a blank...Fred

Offline blackdog

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:53:15 AM »
Fred,  I remember seeing that lock the last time we were down there and have been thinking about using one ever since.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta