Author Topic: Fowlers, shotguns and smooth rifles  (Read 10483 times)

northmn

Fowlers, shotguns and smooth rifles
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:56:35 PM »
For many years I have delighted in shotguns and wing shooting.  As the years go by, age affects the reflexes for this type of shooting as it does for rifles.  But it is still fun.  I take a lot of time off of work in October and love every minute of it.  Use of BP smoothbores adds to the fun.  If I had to use one gun for everything I hunt with black powder it would be a larger gauge smooth bore in either 12 or 16.  While my 20 smooth rifle will handle almost everything, I prefer a little larger bore for a chance at ducks or pheasants. 
One of the things I see a lot on this site is that many people only use their smoothbores for roundball shooting, mostly in competition.  Mostly I use shot in my smoothbores and am considering a round  ball in my smooth rifle for deer season.  I know within 75 yards its accurate enough and a 20 bore is plenty large.  As its a cylinder bore it helps to be fairly close to small game.
My philosophy on fowler use is that they are great when there is enough of an abundance of game to make it interesting or when you don't care.  Grouse are very tasty and take a bit of skill for a wing shooter.  With a modern shotgun one grouse for 4 shots is considered good wingshooting.  If I get a chance to pot one with my flintlock fowler I take it.  I have gotten them with percussion doubles and BP cartridge hammer doubles.  Hunting pressure locally has made wing shooting and jumping them tougher.  Ducks and pheasants would offer a great opportunity for wing shooting with the flintlock.  For me especially ducks look inviting as the family does not really like them so that bringing home a limit of ducks is not all that rewarding.  Don't like cleaning them anyway.  Pheasants are hard to hunt.  I just got back from a days hunting and had one chance at a rooster and scored.  But with a modern 12 bore.  Still, if I lived where more opportunities were available they would be a great bird for wingshooting.     Yesterday I tried to chase down a grey squirrel to get him to stay in a tree and try to hide from me so I could get him with my rifle.  That squirrel jumped from one tree to another and finally landed on a small aspen where I thought I had him.  He went back up the tree and around the trunk like they do and I waited to see if he would climb to the top and stop for a shot.  After circling the tree for a bit I noticed a hole where it was hollow.  No squirrel.  That little critter would have been very sporting with a fowler.  They do not always hold for a rifle. 
I think a lot of shooters miss out by not hunting with a fowler.

DP

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Fowlers, shotguns and smooth rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
I picked up one earlier this year and am beginning to think you're right.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

roundball

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:05:07 PM »
I've thoroughly enjoyed mine over the past several years...have used them with  shot loads for clay targets, squirrels, turkey and crows...wish I had more small game to go after around here...Plus a number of deer now with PRBs...I have .28's and .20's...love them all.
My goal this November is to christen the new .62cal Virginia on deer, then a few squirrel hunts, followed by turkey in the spring...if all that works out I'll be a happy camper.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »
Have always used a sxs percussion gun for both driven game and pest control  here in the UK .For  game shooting pheasant or partride I prefere a 12 or 14  original sxs ,here most muzzle loaders use originals,  For pest control over decoys a 16 or 20 , for ducks a 10 and for  geese  a 4,6,or 8
Feltwad

Originals 10,12,14

The Bag

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:14:58 PM by Feltwad »

roundball

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Nice looking guns...I'd love to try a good SxS in Flint

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »
Have several sxs  and s/b flinters ok if the weather is good but still prefere the sxs percussion
Feltwad

French sxs 20 gauge

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:48:01 PM by Feltwad »

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 01:03:53 AM »
Beautiful guns, Feltwad - quite simply marvelous.

northmn

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 01:36:33 AM »
Beautiful guns, Feltwad - quite simply marvelous.
Can't say it better.

DP

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 01:53:53 PM »
Thanks chaps for the comments , the images of the percussion shotguns  are guns that I have  restored .
Feltwad

Offline Collector

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 06:19:41 AM »
Great looking SXS's. 

northmn, when the squirrel goes to hiding on the other side of the tree from you, sit tight and then throw a piece of rotted branch or something off of the ground to the opposite side of the tree to make noise... 9 out of 10 times that tree rat will come around to your side, for a shot.  Good luck!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 06:56:21 AM »
<snip>
  Grouse are very tasty and take a bit of skill for a wing shooter.  With a modern shotgun one grouse for 4 shots is considered good wingshooting.  If I get a chance to pot one with my flintlock fowler I take it.  I have gotten them with percussion doubles and BP cartridge hammer doubles.  Hunting pressure locally has made wing shooting and jumping them tougher.  Ducks and pheasants would offer a great opportunity for wing shooting with the flintlock.  <snip>

DP

You mean they can FLY???  ;D
Could not resist, this was a question and old friend of mine used to ask when the subject of shooting birds flying came up.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 02:09:54 AM »
Great looking SXS's.  

northmn, when the squirrel goes to hiding on the other side of the tree from you, sit tight and then throw a piece of rotted branch or something off of the ground to the opposite side of the tree to make noise... 9 out of 10 times that tree rat will come around to your side, for a shot.  Good luck!

The squirrel I was talking about found a hollow in the tree and went into that.  I would have had to burn him out.  The darn tree wasn't that big either.

DP
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:36:25 PM by northmn »

northmn

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »
<snip>
  Grouse are very tasty and take a bit of skill for a wing shooter.  With a modern shotgun one grouse for 4 shots is considered good wingshooting.  If I get a chance to pot one with my flintlock fowler I take it.  I have gotten them with percussion doubles and BP cartridge hammer doubles.  Hunting pressure locally has made wing shooting and jumping them tougher.  Ducks and pheasants would offer a great opportunity for wing shooting with the flintlock.  <snip>

DP

You mean they can FLY???  ;D
Could not resist, this was a question and old friend of mine used to ask when the subject of shooting birds flying came up.

Dan

Knew a guy that said he would never shoot ducks while they were swimming.  He liked to wait for them to stop.

DP

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »
Great looking SXS's. 

northmn, when the squirrel goes to hiding on the other side of the tree from you, sit tight and then throw a piece of rotted branch or something off of the ground to the opposite side of the tree to make noise... 9 out of 10 times that tree rat will come around to your side, for a shot.  Good luck!
The easiest way I've found is to make a sound like a nut; something like an acorn in distress call.  ;D

northmn

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »
I haven't quite mastered any distress calls.  Just got another squirrel with the 25 rifle but had to shoot very quick as I had another runner.   Shot him a little further back as I made a snap shot.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
Anyone called squirrels?  Years back when I lived in Ontario and hunted squirrels, I had a squirrel call. I'd walk into the bush and everything goes quiet. Sit at a big oak or maple and wait until the bush sounds resume, then squeak on the call, then squeek, squeek, then do a series of rapid squeeks, then silent and listen.  At times, you can hear them coming through the tops of the trees, or 'splashing' through the leaves towards you from all directions. It can be an eery sound - quite stimulating, then the real fun begins. The sound made is similar if not identical to the squeekers in children's and pet toys.  A couple squeeks will make a grey or black come around the tree to your side, as well.  I'd merely squeek it in my pocket.

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 12:20:59 AM »
When it is still very green leaved and squirrels are cutting pine cones and hickories in the east early season, many will respond to lip squeaking by coming down for a look, especially if you thrash the ground or low growth a little with a switch. The young are stupid, the older females protective. Sometimes in this season, sneaking about is quiet and easy and you can spot several littermates and momma together up in the larger trees. Shoot one and reload quietly and with minimal movement, then try the squeak and thrash routine, expecially if one thumped the ground at the shot. They know the thump sound.  Late in the season, just the lip squeak is helpful if one spots you and disappears in the branches in the same tree.

Get an old half of a plastic buttplate with the V grooves and work them with your fingernail in imitation of intermittent cutting sounds. That usually generates curiosity movement any time. They all know each other and are somewhat territorial.  Good shooting.  Lon

northmn

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 02:12:47 AM »
So far by commerical call lets them know where I am at so they can avoid me.  I ahve the same luck with deer calls.

DP

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »
I have called squirrels, but continue to prefer still hunting.
Gene

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 03:07:31 AM »

I haven't tried shot but just managed to get mine ready for deer season.  This is one of the first 50yd targets I fired with it.  Red holes are 7 shots (2-1/2"), green holes are 2 fliers.  Finally got it sighted in and the final load developed but haven't fired it for group.  I like the rear sight.