Author Topic: Percussions  (Read 11582 times)

northmn

Re: Percussions
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
I have looked at the Ohio Vincent type buttplates shot off the arm.  I wonder if many of them wre modified even back then ???  I am an old dog and really do not need to learn a new shooting style.  Also I pretty much have a set of dimensions that I know fits me.

DP

Online okieboy

Re: Percussions
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 07:20:10 PM »
 DP, you might take a look at the buttplate that Track lists as BP-HAWK-E-B, this has enough curve to look right on a halfstock, but not so much that it looks uncomfortable. When I was choosing the plate for my current build I made plywood cutouts of different plates to try on my shoulder, but still bought three different plates before I was comfortable.
 You have only mentioned halfstock percussions, but a style that is dear to me is the fullstock percussion from the transition time. I used to see these at shoots, with a generic/late Lancaster style stock. These were often very plain without a patchbox or capbox, nor any carving or inlays other than a hunter's star or cresent moon in the cheek piece. They were intended to shoot and always seemed to belong to a serious shooter.
 I like plain rifles that have to stand on their architechture and accuracy, and these take well to a simple apperture sight on the tang, such as the "thumbscrew' sight. While talking about apperture sights, I want to complain that there is such a lack of simple clean apperture sights  available that are appropriate to long rifles. I make some of my sights myself, but my "mill" is a small drill press with an inexpensive cross slide, so its something of a struggle. 
 I think your project is really interesting.

Greg Newcomb 
Okieboy