Author Topic: 2 unlucky squirrels  (Read 4247 times)

cahil_2

2 unlucky squirrels
« on: October 19, 2010, 02:12:08 AM »
Took the 32 out yesterday and went 2 for 6 in the squirrel dept.  They just didn't want to go up a tree and would run on the ground.  These were my first two squirrels with a flintlock.  Hope to get more.  Both head shots.  First at about 35 yards and the second at about 15.  Had them for supper tonight, crockpotted them in cream of mushroom soup and boy were they good. 

northmn

Re: 2 unlucky squirrels
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:27:09 AM »
Squirels have not been cooperating lately.  Ones I have seen have been pretty wild. May take out the 25 and see if I can catch up to one.  Pheasant season just opened so I will have to break in a bird dog.  Hope you get a lot of flavoring for you soup.

DP

roundball

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:40:41 PM »

my first two squirrels with a flintlock

Good for you...love taking game with a Flintlock...our squirrel opened here 10/1 but the only 2 places I can go is where I deer hunt which opens 10/30 and I don't like to spend any time in those sections prior to deer season...if I get lucky early during the rut, then I'll try squirrels a couple times later in November
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:49:52 PM by roundball »

Levy

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
Great Hunting.....congratulations!  I went out Sunday morning and got 4, but I was using my old antique perc. squirrel gun in .29 cal.  The squirrels stayed out right up til midday.  I've gotten 2 with my .25 flinter so far.

James Levy

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »
All this is giving me the "squirrel itch".
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:34:44 PM »
congrats. keep at it  ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

MikeC

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 02:58:03 AM »
Got out this morning for a little bit.  Went 1 for 3.  Spookier then deer and harder to hit.  Touched the pic up a bit.  Shot went thru the base of the head.

roundball

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 03:45:25 AM »
Good looking kit there...congratulations on the hunt.

Also, FWIW, I commend you for 'cleaning up' the kill.....I use the "red-eye" removal feature to remove blood from photos...not a wuss, just minimizing the opportunities for 'PETA' and 'Anti' types to go bonkers