Author Topic: choking don getz!  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Scott Bumpus

choking don getz!
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:32:01 AM »
o/k so I don't know don and have no ill feelings for him. but I did just acquire one of his 44" smooth bores and wanted advice on jug choking this barrel.  i would like to get somewhere around a improved modified.  Any info on making the tooling and how much "jug" to cut ( depth and length).
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

don getz

Re: choking don getz!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:41:43 AM »
Nope, I didn't do it....probably one of John's.   As for jug choking, never did one.  We always sent them out to a friend of
Mike Brooks......help Mike, I can't remember his name...........Don

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:44:57 AM »
Try Lowell Tennyson (563-381-3711).

don getz

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 02:51:10 AM »
Thanks Jim.....h____, I knew that, just couldn't get it out of memory......Don

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:16:11 AM »
Don, I have shown my ignorance, i did not know there were more than 1  getz barrel makers.  Mine says  getz  beaverton  pa  on the bottom flat with a serial number.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 03:52:48 AM »
Hey Don,
Don't you just love it when,,,,,, shucks, just forgot what I was gonna say,,,,,

Regards,
I think my name is John :D
John Robbins

Sam Everly

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:03:01 AM »
My buddy Bill Cogburn said he new he was getting old when one day he went to take a leak .  This is how he new ,when you are young you un zip and take a leak, when you get old, some times you take a leak then un zip . Bill is the same guy that said this. When the Rice boys had L&R lock company and he was watching there booth at friendship, while they took a lunch break . A guy asked what the L&R ment , he said Loose and Rusty!!     
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:09:00 AM by Sam Everly »

don getz

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »
Maple.....I ran the barrel business from 1977 thru 1997, and my son John worked for me for about 15 years before I
retired.  He then took it over and is still making barrels, but not as many as we produced when I was running it.  I had
three people working for me and we produced about 20 - 30 barrels a week.  John is now running the business with one
helper, so the production is much lower............Don

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
I've got a New England Fowler, #20 in Tom Grinslade's Book, that has a 51 inch barrel in 16ga. Lowell jug choked it thirty thousandts for me. This thing is AWESOME! It will knock a turkey sideways out to 40 yards 12 times out of 10! While I normally squirrel hunt with a little .32cal flintlock, I tried my new fowler out last season and I'm not hurting the truth a bit in saying that if I bust a squirrel under 35 yards it's either torn up too much or it's full of #6 shot! James Levy will confirm this ;).

I strongly endorse Lowell Tennyson's jug choking abilities!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »
Another thumbs up for Lowell. Mike Brooks had him jug my son's 12 bore piece to 15 thousandths and it's a pattern machine.

Levy

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 08:59:42 PM »
There was a gentleman who advertised here on the Board that he would do jug-choking.  I sent him a 12 ga. Colerain Barrel and asked for what would be a full choke in performance.  I believe he took out .024" of metal.  I haven't stocked it up yet, so can't report on the result.  Woodsrunner is correct, squirrels shot with his fowler aren't fit to eat and you usually can't even skin them successfully.  I'm trying to get him to back off a bit.

James Levy   

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »
I plan to do the jug choke myself.  I have the lathe and mill to make the tooling and thought it would be a fun project.  If I remember right from past articles,  about 6" long jug about .020 deep should do.  Has any one ever seen an expandable reamer modified to do this job?

Steve-In

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 07:08:07 AM »
I would swing the compound around so I got about .010 taper in an inch.  Feed it in and when you have the taper and depth bore it out about another 3 inches deep.  Finish with a 45 degree and polish.  No harder than barrels you could probably do it with a long scraper.
Steve