Author Topic: Flinter's flinch  (Read 2685 times)

northmn

Flinter's flinch
« on: November 01, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
Been doing a bit more shooting lately, which I never seemed to have time for this summer.  Made a quick shot on a squirrel and took him out of a high aspen when he was getting rady to jump into a pine.  Swore I threw the rifle off when I shot but he came tumbling down.  Been sighting in my 58 for possible use for deer.  Slight hang fire went into the same hole as a good ignition and where I wanted it.  Even was able to blow a pile of horse doo-doo apart tried off hand (As I had to replace the cardboard on the shooting stand because the horse decided to chew off part of the other one we won't mention any inspiration I may have had on a live target) .  Still swear I should be missing with the thing.  I used to swear that a flintlock was slow enough so that I could simetimes pull back on target during ignition ???  Always worked on follow through?

DP

Offline Darkhorse

Re: Flinter's flinch
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
Don't much mind when they sample a paper target. But it really gets me when they sample every new truck and tractor I buy just as soon as I need to do some work in a pasture.
Most people can't figure out what made those "down to bare metal" scratches in the paint.
American horses of Arabian descent.

northmn

Re: Flinter's flinch
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 02:15:41 AM »
They left my stands alone for years but right after I replace the cardboard a bit ago one of them decided he wanted to chew it a little.  One thing I am finding is that the little 25 does help in practice as the follow through is easier.  Nailed a pine squirrel by the house with it today.  It has DST's which I wonder aren't a help with a flinter.

DP