Author Topic: Underib for swamped barrel-help wanted  (Read 6987 times)

Offline sydney

Underib for swamped barrel-help wanted
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:54:31 PM »
I need a rib for a 1/2 stock english rifle
The barrel is swamped so solid ribs are a problem to fit
I have heard about sheet metal ribs that you can form to suit
   but no idea if available
Any held  or ideas???
    Thanks   Sydney

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
Re: Underib for swamped barrel-help wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 12:26:02 AM »
You might check with Rice Barrel Co. Seems to me they had some under ribs at Friendship that were made from sheet stock.

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:45:40 AM »
Solid ribs can be filed to fit and are manufactured from nice soft steel so its not real hard to do. They can be soldered on, screwed on or staked on. The staking is historically correct as is the hollow rib. However, installing a hollow rib on a swamped barrel is quite challenging. You can do it, but when you squeeze them together they change height an they have to be filled accordingly. The only hollow rib manufacturer out there is Rice Barrel Company and these ribs are quite pricey. The solids are about 18$ plus shipping and are available at MuzzleloaderBuilders Supply.com. I think the hollow ones are well over $25 last time I talked to Liston.
Susie

don getz

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 01:20:08 AM »
Sydney...just out of curiosity, what barrel are you using?    How long is it?    .............Don

Offline sydney

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 02:18:10 AM »
Hi Don --The barrel is a 31" Rice-50 cal
               English sporting rifle barrel
                    Sydney

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 03:23:32 AM »
I have purchased two of the machined hollow ribs from MBS and I didnt know that rice was making them but they are the only thing I will use from now on. I am fitting one to a oct-rd .62 cal smooth bore and was frustrated with several types that I had purchased previously(solid type) This one is laying in just fine. I still have a couple spots in the swamped section that need touching up before soldering it down but its the only one that comes even close to fitting properly. Way to go Rice!! ;)
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 04:12:26 AM »
Another option is to make a wooden rib. If you have a piece of the blank it will match up, and look nice.
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

don getz

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 04:26:17 AM »
Sydney.....more questions, I'm just loaded with them tonight.  Can I assume it will be a flintlock?   If so, why not make
a full stock.  I still like the idea of a wooden underrib if you must build a half stock, but I would use something like red heart, or some exotic wood, or plain hard maple (then stain it almost black).....I have always wanted to do that......Don

Offline sydney

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 04:49:21 AM »
Hi don--Yes a flintlock for sure-I have a Manton lock for TRS
             and want /need a English 1/2 stock rifle
                  Sydney

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »
I made a purple heart ramrod for my turkey gun last winter. Stained it with black leather die. You can see the purple deep within when out in the sun. But, with the cost of ebony, ???
Gene

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 05:40:08 PM »
You might check in with Mike Lea. Last time I had need for a sheet metal rib, he had some nice ones.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »
I need a rib for a 1/2 stock english rifle
The barrel is swamped so solid ribs are a problem to fit
I have heard about sheet metal ribs that you can form to suit
   but no idea if available
Any held  or ideas???
    Thanks   Sydney

I ended up machining my own. Its "semi-hollow" and held on with screws. But this barrel was straight taper.
English used formed ribs IIRC.
See Track OW's Purdy plans.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »
I've done exactly this except it was a ribbed mount for the top of a swamped barrel to hold an aimpoint.
Basically, anchor both ends with metal, then coat your barrel with a release agent and make your posts from JB weld. After it drys smooth  shape it with a dremel, then clean it and paint it.
Can't tell it's not real metal.
Probabably not the best way but I had to figure out something quick and it works real well in application.
If I had time I'd probably use metal and file each one to fit.
American horses of Arabian descent.

keweenaw

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 08:48:40 PM »
It just takes a little fitting of the formed, hollow rib to keep it straight on a slightly swamped barrel.  English ribs, unlike those on Hawken rifles, are almost always soldered on with soft solder with the ribs attached to the bottom edges of the diagonal flats.   Because the rear end of the rib will be under the foreend tip, it's hard to tell if you are exactly at the bottom of those flats - in other words there is lots of room for error here that won't be seen.   A round surform tool will take off the excess metal and give you the appropriate angles to join to the barrel with very little work.  It's a good idea to tin the entire inside of the rib and the bottom flat of the barrel where the rib is attached as this will prevent any water that might get in there from causing corrosion.  Use a non corrosive soldering paste like liquid rosin or one of the paste/solder combinations.  Make sure you silver solder - with the high temp stuff - your front thimble to the rib before you solder the rib on the barrel.

Tom