Author Topic: pistol grip stocks  (Read 2318 times)

Offline smylee grouch

pistol grip stocks
« on: November 15, 2017, 07:36:50 AM »
When did the English gun makers start making rifles with pistol grip stocks instead of using the steel trigger guards with a grip rail? Before 1800 or after?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: pistol grip stocks
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 05:05:34 PM »
After. In fact it's very rare to see one in  the flint period...not sure I ever have but I have learned here you can never say never. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
After. In fact it's very rare to see one in  the flint period...not sure I ever have but I have learned here you can never say never. ;)

Wasn't Davy Crockett given a pistol grip long rifle?
I don't remember if it was flint or percussion but
do remember it was an ugly one.

Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »
I remember seeing a picture of the Davy Crockett rifle, and I thought it was rather ugly too but I was curious about British guns in particular.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:51:36 AM »
There are several military arms that had pistol grips on them. There are examples in the book British military arms 1650-1850 by Howard Blackmore. There is a pair of Baker muskets with pistol grips as well dated 1822. The Baker rifle carbine on page 147 has one. The presentation Baker on pg 167 has one as well. It is dated 1822 and a flintlock.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:13:01 AM »
There are several sporting arms that are in the book showing the the guns of the Windsor collection. They say 1800-10 for dates. I don't see any thing earlier than that. Two of the double flint SXS's look very cool.
Dave Blaisdell