Author Topic: Inlays.....  (Read 5211 times)

Online Gaeckle

Inlays.....
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
Looking for some imput, ideas, what have you, concerning inlays....

We know most are brass, some coin silver, but has anyone ever worked or used horn or bone for an inlay? I'm toying with the idea of putting a cresent moon as an inlay in horn on a cheekpiece for an iron mounted build I'm working on.

Another question: does the moon's curve go down or up?

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Inlays.....
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:01:26 PM »
There were a few originals with inlays made of material other than brass or silver. Jacob Kuntz used bone for at least one toe plate as on example.     Gary

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
Looking for some imput, ideas, what have you, concerning inlays....

We know most are brass, some coin silver, but has anyone ever worked or used horn or bone for an inlay? I'm toying with the idea of putting a cresent moon as an inlay in horn on a cheekpiece for an iron mounted build I'm working on.

Another question: does the moon's curve go down or up?

If you are looking for historically correct I would use silver. Brass is the next choice and is interchangable with silver.
Horn goes into modernistic ideas, though it was used in Europe. They put inlays in guns to enhance the appearance and or to show the owner was affluent enough to afford such. A horn inlay just means you are too poor to afford anything else and thus the owner is better served without any inlay at all since the horn might be looked on as a detriment rather than addition to the gun.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline BrentD

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »
Horn may be european, but antler would be pretty American I think and scrimshawed with a little folk art engraving would look pretty cool. 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:41:45 PM »
Hi Gaeckle,
I am working on a 17th century piece that has extensive and elaborate bone and mother-of-pearl inlay.  First, if working with bone, wear a dust mask because the bone dust is extremely fine and should not be inhaled.   That is particularly true of mother-of-pearl, which is actually toxic.  You want to make sure that the bone or antler is dense, avoid areas near the marrow or core because they will be porous.  Bone must be degreased or it will rot the wood around it.  The best way is to clean and scrape cow femur bone, slice it into slabs, and then soak it in white gas for a week or so.  Let it air dry and it will be thoroughly degreased.  Some people boil and bleach it to clean it up.  That is fine if your inlays are simple without fragile edges or complicated shapes but bleaching or boiling will make bone too brittle for complicated shapes.  Unfortunately, most bone slabs that you buy for knife scales have been processed in such a way that they are brittle.  Again, that is fine for simple shapes.  Bone and antler cut easily with a jewler's saw and can be filed to shape very quickly.  When inletting however, you must cut the inlet very clean so the bone presses in with just finger pressure.  If you tap it with a hammer like you might with metal inlays, it may crack, especially if the bone material is brittle.  Wood glue will hold it in place well.  Another thing to remember is that bone inlays will stain so you need to plan for that if you stain your stock with the inlays in place.  I have a very steady hand so I simply use a small brush to paint stain around the inlays.  You can also glue inlays in after staining but that is difficult if you want the inlay flush with the wood surface.  Bone and antler are very beautiful materials that can produce rich and stunning effects if done well.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
    You are pretty much limited by your imagination.  If it was available at the time, probably someone used it.  As mentioned before Kuntz used a wide variety of inlay materials, including one noted example "The Jewel Kuntz" where he used a jewel in the center of the cheekpiece inlay.  Bone, Ivory, Mother of pearl,Ebony,gold, silver, brass have all been used as inlay materials in originals that I have seen.   As Dave said if you are using any of the light colored porous inlay materials, they are best restricted to woods that will be finished w/o staining.  The more you work on antique longrifles, the more you realize that there is very little that has not been done or tried before.  Darn old guys stole all my good ideas...a couple hundred years ago...
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

omark

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »
put the moon facing down. that is refered to as a "wet moon", because the water can run out. most people were farmers so they needed rain for good crops. it also makes it quieter for the hunter in the woods.  some old timers still think it wont rain during a dry moon (facing up).     :o    happy hunting, mark

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:47:50 PM »
I made a bone toe plate for the Kuntz project, a couple of years ago.  I made it carefully with the correct curve of the bottom of the buttstock, the inletting at the for'd end was perfect, the scrimshaw outstanding.  I drilled it for the three large headed screws with lots of clearance in the holes, but my inletting was TOO TIGHT!  When I bottomed the last screw, the thing split lengthwise, and was ruined.  So I made one using the first as a pattern, out of cow horn, which was another material Mr. Kuntz used extensively in his inlays.  So, the lesson here, an easy fit is required for bone as it splits with the grain under tension.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »
One thing I learned early on in instrument making; where bone, various shell mat'ls are concerned , too tight an inlay is a bad thing!  Nasty things can happen , even under a finish. A little clearance can be a good thing.