Author Topic: Grease holes  (Read 4434 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Grease holes
« on: December 14, 2010, 02:55:14 AM »
This one is on an early  (circa 1810) Mathew Gillespie rifle. I have see a couple of other early Gillespie's with this type of box. Note the "ramp" at the back of the box. Probably to make it easier to "wipe" the patch out.

Here are some later Gillespie’s. The one the far left is a later Mathew (circa 1830’s) with an oval grease hole. The next one to the right is a Harvey G. with a oval shaped hole. The next is another Harvey with no grease hole. The far right one is a Philip G. and the cap box may have been added over the grease hole.

Here is one of John G. with an oval hole

And another of his

The oval grease holes seems to be a Gillespie trait, I haven't seen other southern rifles with the grease holes made that way. They are bored on an angle toward the butt. Some of them show evidence of being opened up a little on the back end, maybe done by the owner who had a bigger thumb!

In any case I believe they were done that way to make it easier to "wipe" a patch over the grease.

I have hunted and used a couple of rifles with grease holes full of grease and I have not had a problem with trash. Of course I haven't used them for years so its no sign that they wouldn't get full of trash.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Grease holes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:27:20 AM »
You torture me with wee little parts of rifles. Sure would like to see the rest of them.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »
You torture me with wee little parts of rifles. Sure would like to see the rest of them.

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading.

Tim C.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »
Sorry guys most of the rifles I do not have permission to post the photo's. The top one is mine so I'll post it and the last two are photos that I own so I will post them later today.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »
The oval and rectangular grease hole is an odd feature that I've not seen by any other makers that I can recall.  have other NC makers use this? If so, were they associated with the Gillespie clan?
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 07:17:47 PM »
There is a rifle on display at Guilfrod Courthouse National Military Park that has a rectangular grease hole.  Similar to the one seen above.

Coryjoe

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 01:45:28 AM »
The oval and rectangular grease hole is an odd feature that I've not seen by any other makers that I can recall.  have other NC makers use this? If so, were they associated with the Gillespie clan?
Bill,
Jim Webb told me that style of grease hole was used in other areas of NC but for the life of me I can not remember where, Deep River area maybe? I need to call him later on tonight, will try to remember to ask him.
Dennis

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 03:08:39 AM »
These are the photos that I promised to post. They are the rifles in the above photos of grease holes (except for the 4 together which I do not have permission to use)

The first two are the Mathew Gillespie circa 1810 45.25 inch barrel about 41 cal

Next two are by Mathew's son John Gillespie.

Next three are also by Mathew's son John Gillespie. Barrel has been cut to about 32 inches if I remember correctly.