Author Topic: Anti-seize?  (Read 6375 times)

Jim Cook

Anti-seize?
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:59:23 PM »
I'm getting to the final stages of making a TOW English Fowling Gun. It looks great but since it's my first gun there are several mistakes that are insignificant enough so the average person will not see them. I still love it.

My question deals with the breech area. First, I must remove the breech plug and drill, tap and assemble the lightning flash hole liner. Should I use “never seize” during the liner assembly?

Second, should “never seize” be used on the breech plug when I reassemble the plug?
Thanks for your guidance.

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
Re: Anti-seize?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
I dont know if it is right or wrong but I used choke lube on the threads.  Makes it a little kinder on the threads.

Brett.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:10:14 PM »
I'm getting to the final stages of making a TOW English Fowling Gun. It looks great but since it's my first gun there are several mistakes that are insignificant enough so the average person will not see them. I still love it.

My question deals with the breech area. First, I must remove the breech plug and drill, tap and assemble the lightning flash hole liner. Should I use “never seize” during the liner assembly?

Second, should “never seize” be used on the breech plug when I reassemble the plug?
Thanks for your guidance.

I use STP to assemble breeches to barrels and usually nothing but a little oil in the vent liners though STP will work there as well. STP contains zinc. Its usually cheaper and easier and less color involved than copper or other metallic anti-seize.
Choke tube lube would be OK too. But pricey.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:06:15 AM »
I use never seize at the breech area. Touch hole I don't some time.
David
David Veith

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:37:41 AM »
Blue Loc-tite both breech and vent bushing.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:52:37 AM »
I locktight the vent liner and neversieze the breech plug.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »
I loctite the vents in, as they should never come out, except when I am are going to replace it. That's the Chambers style vent.

Breech plugs should be a good fit regardless of your method. I anti seize the threads lightly.

I used to gob 'em up pretty good, but found when I went to brown the barrel, the anti would weep out of the joint on the top flat and cause that spot NOT to brown. So now I work a little on the inside threads, and avoid getting anti on the standing faces of both barrel and plug.

I like Long John's using loctite on the plug as well, as just a little heat will soften it up. Loctite won't weep out when browning.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
I loctite the vents in, as they should never come out, except when I am are going to replace it. That's the Chambers style vent.

Breech plugs should be a good fit regardless of your method. I anti seize the threads lightly.

I used to gob 'em up pretty good, but found when I went to brown the barrel, the anti would weep out of the joint on the top flat and cause that spot NOT to brown. So now I work a little on the inside threads, and avoid getting anti on the standing faces of both barrel and plug.

I like Long John's using loctite on the plug as well, as just a little heat will soften it up. Loctite won't weep out when browning.

Loctite would only be aid when the parts don't fit right. If I find loctite on the threads I consider it an indication of a "fix" and figure something is wrong.
Use STP for its lube qualities which I discovered in using it to fit barrels in BPCR. It allows a parts to slide as they build pressure.
I don't fit breeches that tight, moderate pressure with a 12" wrench" but I don't want them turning past if reinstalled and they seal the breech. If everything comes into contact at once going past index is not a problem. A good lube makes all this easier.
The last few breeches I have made have been made of 4140/4150 bar ends from a gun factory and this stuff has little give.
I have not had a problem with browning or bluing. But its a possibility.

Dan

Jim Cook

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 01:37:45 AM »
As I mentioned, I'm in the final stages of making a TOW English Fowling Gun. Flintlock, smooth bore about .6 in diameter. Your comments have helped me decide how I'm going to reassemble the breach and secure the White Lightning vent liner.

As I'm getting to the end of this project I'm thinking of the next. It probably will be a possibles bag, I'd like to make it myself. In order to determine what configuration the bag will take I think I need to know what will be in it. This will help me determine the number of pockets, if any, and the number of sections. The general flavor of the bag should be what would have been carried in Western New England in about 1770.

I want the straps to be adjustable. To be able to use the bag while standing and while on horseback.
I expect to carry a patch knife.

What other tools and supplies do I need in the bag for one or two days of hunting?
Any suggestions? Comments?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 03:03:32 AM »
Loctite might imply a poor fit to some folks, but in this case,it is just a sealant. If there are mechanical problems, it should not be thought of as a fix, not with the kind of pressures there are in a barrel.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 03:10:40 AM »
As I mentioned, I'm in the final stages of making a TOW English Fowling Gun. Flintlock, smooth bore about .6 in diameter. Your comments have helped me decide how I'm going to reassemble the breach and secure the White Lightning vent liner.

As I'm getting to the end of this project I'm thinking of the next. It probably will be a possibles bag, I'd like to make it myself. In order to determine what configuration the bag will take I think I need to know what will be in it. This will help me determine the number of pockets, if any, and the number of sections. The general flavor of the bag should be what would have been carried in Western New England in about 1770.

I want the straps to be adjustable. To be able to use the bag while standing and while on horseback.

What other tools and supplies do I need in the bag for one or two days of hunting?

Jim, can you post this as a new topic under accoutrements?  That will help us stay on topic.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 04:55:00 AM »
Loctite might imply a poor fit to some folks, but in this case,it is just a sealant. If there are mechanical problems, it should not be thought of as a fix, not with the kind of pressures there are in a barrel.

If the parts are properly assembled  no sealer is needed.
I have used loctite on a 54 pistol with a 5/8 plug because there is no way to seal the threads. And it was a sealer, but it was also a fix.

Dan

Jim Cook

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 09:32:03 PM »
Rich,
I reposted this in the "accroutrements" section.

Jim, can you post this as a new topic under accoutrements?  That will help us stay on topic.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:32:38 PM by Jim Cook »