Author Topic: Front sight on a Mountain Rifle  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

Front sight on a Mountain Rifle
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:39:54 AM »
  I am building a southern mountain rifle and want to install the sight by cutting a grove on the top flat parrel to the bore and staking the sight. I have to questions (1) what is the best wat to cut this slot using hand tools? (2) what is the correct material to use? Brass,copper ,bone,silver or bone. I like low sights and want something that will show up on the woodswalks. Thanks so much for your reply.  Eric D. Lau  Riverdale Mi.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Front sight on a Mountain Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 05:07:02 AM »
I have not installed a sight like this but I would probably use a flat graver the same width that I wanted the sight to be to cut the groove. As far as material for the sight my first choice would be coin or sterling silver and my second choice would be brass. I have been using silver on some of my front sights lately and I have been amazed at how well I can see the sight in low light conditions. Silver may not be the best choice for a target rifle but for a rifle that is going to be used in the woods for hunting I can see why the old times used it so much.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 06:04:54 AM »
I don't know about cutting the slot but I concur with Bama on the silver blade, they work great in the woods.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

omark

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 06:10:20 AM »
why not a sight base in a dovetail?   set the base level with the barrel top and it will be as low as your way.  i have never seen an installation as you describe. if doing it that way, i would try a moto tool.   mark

Offline BrentD

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 06:17:47 AM »
Try copper.  An old penny (new ones are zinc in the middle) or a piece of copper pipe.

I'd be worried that staking it in a groove would be strong enough.  Solder?

Brent

northmn

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »
I have been making chisels out of old chain saw files for that kind of work.  As I burn firewood I ahve a lot of them.  I would also consideer soldering the sight.  I ahve used soldered and staked under pinning loops for several rifles now and they work well so the system should hold for a sight.  Use poultry netting staples.

DP

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:52:24 PM »
DP,
If I understand correctly, you are using the poultry netting staples for underlugs?  If so, I'd be interested in hearing/seeing how you do it -- got plenty of that stuff, and while it may not be exactly what was done in the past, it sounds like something consistent with how some rifles were made of available materials.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 12:48:32 AM »
... I'd be worried that staking it in a groove would be strong enough.  Solder?

Brent

This method of installing the foresight isn't at all rare on Virginia rifles and, later, on Southern Mountian rifles to the west.

Properly done it is very strong. I demonstrated that one time at a seminar by installing a sight in this manner then picking up the entire rifle barrel by the sight blade.

The trick is to undercut the ends of the slot so that in cross section it is actually shaped like a dove tail. Put slight bow in the bottom of the blade, drop it in the slot, and tap on it so that as it straightens out the ends spread into the undercuts.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 01:57:16 AM »
I concur with Gary.  Just like inlaying gold.  Merry Christmas, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

northmn

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 01:58:35 AM »
I drill the barrel with 5/64 bit which align to the cut down staple.  The staple is cut down to the depth of the holes and still takes the pin.  I then install and stake it in place with a chisel type punch I made out of a pin punch.  I also solder them in place with a soft solder.  They work like slotted underlugs and allow for swelling etc.  So far they have not failed me.  Some claim on thin barrels you can dimple the bore but I use more of a length wise hit when I install them and do not drill all that deep.  I tried a modified version for a keyed underlug out of wire and it works good also.  No it is not authentic, but it does not show and it works.  I can install 4 of these in about the time it takes me to file out and install one dovetailed underlug.

DP

omark

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 02:59:14 AM »
guess i stand corected, thank you.   mark    :-[