Author Topic: wooden underib  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Dan Herda

wooden underib
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:29:03 PM »
What builders or what area of the country did gunsmiths use wood underibs?

where they used on plains rifles,Lehmans etc?

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: wooden underib
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
There are going to be exceptions to any general statement but I believe the wooden under rib on half stock rifles is primarily a New England feature.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »
Odd question, but is it known what propted builders to use wood?
Maybe a weight factor.?

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »
I would guess that thrifty New England Yankee's being what they are,I would guess cost.They could make a rifle with less stock wood and not have to buy the rib.Most New England rifles of the period had hardware store barrels and locks.

Mitch

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 08:11:55 PM »
Wooden under ribs are mentioned in the book on New England guns but no pictures given.  Many early N. E. guns were made from cast off F & I war parts.   Perhaps sometimes using a stock that was broken in the fore end.  Someting was needed to hold the ram rod and wood came off so replace it with wood.   I have made 4  wood rib half stocks so far.  They save a tiny bit of weight but I doubt that that was the reason for doing it in old times.  I think it was that wood was available and iron was not at the instant it was needed.

Dave Dolliver

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:18:39 AM »
I would guess that thrifty New England Yankee's being what they are,I would guess cost.They could make a rifle with less stock wood and not have to buy the rib.Most New England rifles of the period had hardware store barrels and locks.

Mitch

+1, best hypothesis I've heard so far.
Andover, Vermont