Author Topic: Catalogs for Builders  (Read 6199 times)

Offline LynnC

Catalogs for Builders
« on: March 15, 2009, 04:40:21 AM »
My newest catalogs are now 10 or more years old and I think it's time for new!

Beyond TOW, MLBS & Dixie, What catalogs would you reccomend I get for locks, barrels & furniture.  Everything I get has to come in the mail as there isn't anything available in driving distance except maybe TVM.

Your thoughts are most appreciated........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Catalogs for Builders
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 06:03:43 AM »
I think you can find most stuff online now.  I love the new TRS catalogue (The Rifle Shoppe) because of the good pictures of parts taken from originals.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 06:05:49 AM »
Most of these places now have websites which are kept more up to date than their catalogs and you can order there.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 06:36:13 AM »
there isn't anything available in driving distance except maybe TVM.
Lynn,
Do you mean:
Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading aka TVM (Matt Avance)  or
Tennessee Valley Manufacturing  (Jack Garner)

Jack's got way more stuff than he lists and can also shape a stock for you in most styles.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »
Lynn, how about a catalog from The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio?  They seem to always have what I'm looking for.   And the catalog covers are works of art that just gets me to drooling (or is that just my age showing?). 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »
Jim Chambers, flintlocks.com, has a $5 catalog, if you like paper.

I just received two of his Siler pattern locks, one full size, other small Siler, with brass plates. Spark extremely well, beautifully put together. Delivery was in four days, not months. He has, of course, kits and some assorted parts, as well as that fine German book on Jaegers & an English translation of the text.

As I get back into my shop after long absence I've sort of become a "Lock Collector", looking for something that actually sparks, is well put together & with no internal design innovations. Have locks from five different sources. Still awaiting delivery of a small Ditchburn "J.P. Beck" lock, but so far Chambers' stuff is the best (Bob Roller's also finely machined wrought internals).

(Nice to see a lock with the mainspring properly installed so that it does not drag on the plate).

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »
Good comments and Thank You!

Rich P. - Years ago (like 15+) TRS seemed more military oriented.  Have they got more civilian stuff now?  It was a Nice catalog back then.

Nate M. - Yeah, Lots but not all have a website and I enjoy perusing them - Getz comes to mind, Wish they had a site.  I guess I like paper.

TOF - Jack Garner TVM - I've got a 1995 cat. from him - I bet he's got some new stuff.

G. Elsenbeck - Never seen a Log Cabin Shop cat. but I've heard it's got lots in it.

JCK - $5 bucks  - I'm finding out that Jim has come out with some new locks and variations over the last 10 years...................And yes, I like paper - no, make that Love, paper catalogs to study and think on ;) ............................Lynn 

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 03:13:01 AM »
Online is nice, but you just can't beat laying down in your own bed with a propped up wishbook. Get the paper catalogs for planning and then do your ordering online. If you spend a few extra bucks on the catalogs, so what? You're are supporting the folks that support us, although I doubt that $5 or so for a catalog leaves much room for profit. Iv'e noticed that all of the catalogs have pretty much the same standard parts, but each one has a few things that the others don't.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 05:15:36 PM »
Amen Pete - New Wishbooks!....................Lynn

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 05:56:44 PM »
The Rifle Shoppe catalogue has plenty of stuff suitable for civilian arms.  There is a lot of military stuff in there but there are a lot of fowler bits, Euro locks, trade gun parts, and a wealth of castings for something special or a reconversion.
Andover, Vermont

Offline LynnC

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »
Thanks Rich, I'll check into getting a copy!
Lynn

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 05:20:21 PM »
Lynn, yes the Log Cabin Shop probably has alot of what most other catalogs have, but it also has quite a diverse section on Books that I love.  Anything from fiction & Non fiction to how to make stuff.  In addition, I love their cover photographs.  They, to me at least, are works of art and really get the juices flowing.  Too bad they haven't made a collection of them into a calendar.  And, for $5 you can't go wrong.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 02:46:03 PM »
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "