Author Topic: Great Plains Rifle Kit  (Read 5034 times)

FRJ

Great Plains Rifle Kit
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:01:53 AM »
I've got a left hand GPR in percussion that I really like but since I lost the center of my left eye from a stroke I can't see the sights worth a darn. I don't have much money and very few tools and I'm wondering if anyone has put together one of the kits? I'm thinking of the rt/hand flintlock in 54cal. Thanks for any advice. Frank

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Re: Great Plains Rifle Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »
Frank, I have built three of them and have #4 on my bench right now.  Did not have any intention of doing another but ran across a heck of a deal on a kit at a gun show and had to "rescue" it.

You don't need much in the line of tools.  Screwdrivers, files, a wood rasp, some sandpaper, finishing supplys and elbow grease will get you there.  You can build these plane jane or spiff them up a bit.  Polishing the metal is the most labor intesive part of a gpr build.  Forgot to mention browning solution for the metal.  OTOH, you don't really need it if you choose to leave it in the white.  My best looking wood has been the ones without stain.  Just filled the grain and finished with Tru Oil. 

You have to check the fit of the inlet parts right off when you get the kit.  It's not uncommon to find some cattywampus inletting.  If you run into that and there is no ready fix, Lyman is real good about replacing the parts.

Good luck with it.
Mike Lee

FRJ

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »
Thanks Longcruise, I'll do exactly what you suggest and hopefully have a rifle that shoots as good as my lefty.Frank

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:00:02 AM »
Hi Frank  ;  Take your time and go slow. everything will be fine

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
Frank,
If you want to save a few bucks, get an Investarms Hawken kit.  Investarms makes the GPR for Lyman.  They are virtually identical, except the Investarms model has brass furniture instead of steel.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Mattole

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 04:31:58 AM »
Frank,
If you want to save a few bucks, get an Investarms Hawken kit.  Investarms makes the GPR for Lyman.  They are virtually identical, except the Investarms model has brass furniture instead of steel.

I may be missing something, but I believe the Investarms Hawken has a shorter barrel (29") and is altogether a different creature than the Lyman GPR. I have their Hawken in .54 and while not built from a kit it bears little resemblance to the great plains rifle. They are less expensive though - Cabelas has the Investarms Hawken flintlock kit on sale now for $299..
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:36:00 AM by Mattole »

FRJ

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »
I looked all over and can't find an investarms kit that even comes close to the GPR.
I think I'll just stick with the Lyman offering, I can get it fairly cheap and its a good rifle. Frank