Author Topic: Graver advice please  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Long Ears

Graver advice please
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:15:27 PM »
I have been stamping my initials and the date on the bottom flat of my barrels. I would like to learn how to engrave my name or initials on the top flat as requested by my friends and family. I need some advice on what  shape and brand of graver would be a good one to purchase. I have a pile of brass from the scrap yard to work on. I will also need an idea of what size chasing hammer and sharpening jig or fixture works well. I attended a class at Dixon's last summer and should have purchased the graver there but I was running low on funds fast! I also have watched Jack Brooks engraving DVD a dozen times so it is time to give it a try. Thanks in advance, Bob

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Graver advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
I have been stamping my initials and the date on the bottom flat of my barrels. I would like to learn how to engrave my name or initials on the top flat as requested by my friends and family. I need some advice on what  shape and brand of graver would be a good one to purchase. I have a pile of brass from the scrap yard to work on. I will also need an idea of what size chasing hammer and sharpening jig or fixture works well. I attended a class at Dixon's last summer and should have purchased the graver there but I was running low on funds fast! I also have watched Jack Brooks engraving DVD a dozen times so it is time to give it a try. Thanks in advance, Bob

Go to
http://smartflix.com/store/video/457/Engraving

Beginning engraving.
McKenzie cuts through the BS on what is needed in the line of engravers.

A square graver is what you need and a light chasing hammer. McKenzie also details simplified but effective sharpening.
Sharpening is critical.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:34:54 PM »
Lindsey engraving has a nice jig setup for your gravers at a reasonable price too.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 04:58:30 AM »
The Lindsey system shortens the learning curve for sharpening, so you can get on with engraving and be confident that the screw-ups are your fault and not the tool's.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell