Author Topic: Lyman GP Rifle  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
Lyman GP Rifle
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:22:04 AM »
I built a Lyman GP caplock rifle from a kit about 15 years ago and is one of my favorites. It's all browned furniture and is a .54 cal RH.
My question is where can I get a flintlock barrel and lock that will fit it in the same caliber? The Lyman website with parts seems a bit confusing as far as the ordering goes. Is there another barrel and lock that will fit this application besides the ones from Lyman? Also what about a nice maple stock with some curl too thats already carved and inletted. I'm not up to trying my hand at that yet.

Thanks for any info you can give me as I'm a noobie to this site.

Ole Scout
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline bgf

Re: Lyman GP Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:33:31 AM »
Did you try Track of the Wolf?  I believe they can modify the Green Mountain T/C drop-in barrels for use in a GPR, or so it says here: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID=491  They should also have a replacement (flint) lock for it, here: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=148&styleId=577&partNum=LOCK-LR-05-F

Don't know about stock, -- it may be that a T/C or Investarms stock will work -- you can ask them.

mike e

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 06:34:09 AM »
One more question, will the flintlock and the flint barrel just "drop in" my caplock stock?
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:40:47 AM »
One more question, will the flintlock and the flint barrel just "drop in" my caplock stock?
Sure, but there is no guarantee that the lock will line up properly with the touch hole.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
Scout, basically you want a new barrel, a new lock and a new stock. GPR's are a great choice as a production gun but sounds like you're reading to move on.

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
Scout, basically you want a new barrel, a new lock and a new stock. GPR's are a great choice as a production gun but sounds like you're reading to move on.

Now when you put it that way, isn't there an old saying or something, "lock, stock and barrel?" :).

FRJ

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 02:36:30 AM »
Why don't you give lyman a shout? They have always treated me right and answered any  questions I had. Frank